Just some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButchTN

Reaction score
This is the from a thread I started last week in a panic:

I brewed an BB American Brown Ale kit on 11-14-8. We used a White labs yeast and I made a starter a few days earlier. It only fermented (bubbled) in my airlock for maybe 24 hours. Original grav was on the money at 1.06, but my final grav, I just took, is 1.023 and it should be between 1.01-1.016.

I've never had a batch not be between the numbers on the final grav before kegging or bottling. What's my next step? More time or keg it?

Ok, now from today:

I just took another gravity and it was 1.02 (maybe 1.021ish). The liquid in my airlock is still pushed forward but not bubbling. Is there anything I can do to speed this up? This was my first attempt using a yeast starter, but I followed the directions for doing so found on this site so I should be ok there, right?

There is nothing you can do to speed up the fermentation process.

How long has it been fermenting? Make sure you don't bottle it until you know it is completely done fermenting, or you will have bottle bombs or my current problem...overcarbonated beer!

Don't bottle it yet. Warm it up to 72-74F for a few hours and see if you get any airlock activity. You probably will...after seeing some activity, drop the temp back to 68F. Wait another week and take another reading. If you still don't see any difference, pitch a packet of Nottingham dry yeast.

That's all true, and I agree with the others.

That said, I had about three extract kits a couple of years ago (one was definitely a Brewer's Best- but I don't remember about the others) that never did go below 1.020. Never. I repitched. I waited. I warmed. I swirled. Then, I finally bottled it. Sometimes some ingredients just aren't that fermentable- maybe I carmelized the extract a bit, maybe my DME was a less fermentable brand, maybe the crystal grains caused some residual sugars. I never did know why- but after a total of 4-6 weeks if you've repitched and done everything you should, and it's still not dropping and it's in the 1.020 or less, then I'd call it done.

histo320: We brewed on 11-14 and it started bubbling within 24 hours, it lasted for 24 about hours

BierMuncher: I didn't take a temp, but the house is always around 65 to 68ish. I do keep it in my office though and have noticed it has bee a bit cooler in there.

TwoHeadsBrewing: I just put it in a tub of warm water and it started bubbling immediately.

winzerz: Thanks...I was guessing that was the case.

YooperBrew: I still have the yeast that came with the kit, but I'm hesitant to repitch for some reason. Will it effect the flavor? I will tell you this it probably smells better than any brew I've ever done so I'm cool with waiting it out.

Back