Just repitched more yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirstymug

Reaction score
I've got some grape juice concentrate wine that seems to have hung up at 1.059 for a few weeks now (my 3rd batch). Tonight after I took my gravity reading I decided to pitch another pack of dry Montrachet yeast. I was expecting a slow takeoff at best since their is already alcohol in the must, but wow it took off like a rocket! within minutes the airlock was thumping and the yeast was dancing around the wine. By the time I grabbed my camera to take a picture, all the dry yeast was incorporated! Hopefully this was the kick the wine needed to finish out dry.

Does this always happen when you re-pitch yeast to stuck must or wart?

I think I racked it off the yeast to soon. I racked and degassed at about a week and a half. :cross:

Lol I'll do better on the next batch, which might go this weekend. I think this time I'll throw two packs at the start. I want to try adding some wood chips this time too. (all this efort is for the wifey, and she likes dry wine)

For what its worth heres a quick video I shot of the yeast explosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well dry yeast won't just start fermenting they would probably die if not properly inoculated. . The reaction probably wasn't yeast fermentation but something else. Similar to when u add DAP in wine it can make it foam up and "boil over" if there isn't much head space. I don't know the exact chemistry behind the reaction but fermentation doesn't work that fast especially from dry yeast. Dry yeast need to be hydrated and acclimated to the temperature. Also yeast don't just start fermenting it takes about 24 hours to build a colony.

Back