Just put my first beer in the primary fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
It's a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. Wish me luck! The whole thing was a bit of a disaster, as I was trying to make a 2.75 gallon batch in what turned out to be a 3 gallon pot. Lots of foaming and spills and overflow pots later, it's done... Now I have to hope my yeast starter is healthy. Nerve wracking! :drunk:

Congratulations! Nerve wracking but in a good way. Fermcap is a great thing to have on hand for boil overs if you don't have a larger pot....

You'll be surprised at how much easier it gets after three or four batches!

My first batch turned out to be gushers... but I could still taste good beer in there..

So far the rest have been very good..... the second batch had an off flavor at the end... I didn't really understand the importance of fermentation temperatures at the time... but I do now.

Good luck.. it is great fun.

Thanks! I'll add it to the list. Which currently consists of (learning by doing!) :

5 gallon pot (at least)
Wort chiller (ice bath was paaaainful)
Fermcap
A big spoon

Adding FWH can help with boilovers as well, just a few pellets is all thats needed to stop the foaming :tank:

Latest posts

Back