Just Poured My First Home Brew - Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimE

Reaction score
My Belgian Tripel: Good head (gotta love that), good taste (a little raw I think). I read in another thread that this may take months to really come into it's own. Does it really? This recipe had a bit of fermentables, so I guess it would take time.

6.6 lbs. LME
3 lbs. DME
1 lbs. Belgian clear candy sugar
8 oz. Maltodextrin
1 lb aromatic malt (steeped)

I love home brew!

Congrats! That's when the hook is really set, with the first pour of your own home brew! :) I'm not far ahead of you, but I will say that with every batch I make, the longer it sits in the bottles, the better it tastes. I have 3 bottles left from my first batch, and I plan to keep them 6 months or so, for a special occasion.

what, no pic

Here it is:
MyFirstBeer.jpg

Big ABV Belgains take a long time to come into there own. I've got six months on mine now and its pretty good, but it will continue to get better. I tried one at three months and it was horrible. I can't wait to try one 6 months from now. It will be awesome.

Looks like the Brewer's Best Kit from the recipe...Am I right? I did their Tripel as my first as well and it's sitting in the primary right now. I guess not a good choice for a first if you are impatient. I'm going to get it into a secondary and let it sit for a fair amount of time; then I can get another batch going in the primary! It'll probably be awhile before I push the Tripel into the keg though. I'm thinking of letting it sit in the secondary for 6 months if I can wait that long.

Looks like the Brewer's Best Kit from the recipe...Am I right? I did their Tripel as my first as well and it's sitting in the primary right now. I guess not a good choice for a first if you are impatient. I'm going to get it into a secondary and let it sit for a fair amount of time; then I can get another batch going in the primary! It'll probably be awhile before I push the Tripel into the keg though. I'm thinking of letting it sit in the secondary for 6 months if I can wait that long.

Yep, it is that kit. I'm not sure if Notty was the right yeast to use, but it didn't add much flavor so the malts and hops speak out. I bottled this 2 weeks ago. ABV is 8.5%, from my calculations. I enjoy the flavor NOW. I really can't imagine what it will be like in 6 months. I just plan on brewing more so I won't be tempted to drink all of the tripel too soon.

Second batch is in the fermentor. It is a pale ale, with 6 pounds of light DME and Amarillo, Spalt Select and Sterling hops. I used S-33 yeast, hoping for fruit/citrus flavor component. I didn't use and specialty grain steeping in this one.

Good luck, and enjoy that tripel!!!

Yeah, I used Wyeast's 1388 Belgian Strong, but I didn't make a starter, and I'm a little worried, even though they say you don't need to with their "Activators". I just don't know how to know whether or not to pitch more. I've been looking, and all the AHS kits offer double yeast as an option with their high gravity brewkits; I dunno, I might just let it ride and see what happens. 6 months would be a long time to wait only to find out the beer didn't turn out though. I also did the kit as a full boil, adjusting my hops accordingly of course, and used Styrian Goldings for bittering and Saaz for aroma. Man, I'm excited to try it!

I did a BB Belgian Tripel also. It's been bottled for 16 months now. Great stuff! Unfortunately I only have about a 12 pack left. Patience is important on this one as it needs some time. I remember being pleasantly surprised already at 3 months when I drank the first one. At 6 months, you should be in great shape.

Back