Just ordered my kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been here for a week and I'm loving this place. I've been reading every day and I just ordered my kit. I got this one from Midwest

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html

I used to brew years ago but I never had a secondary fermenter. Is that something where the beer goes and gets hopped? Is it something I'll use right away? It seemed the better deal because that kit also came with the autosiphon.

My favorite beer is Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. Can someone recommend a beer that tastes similar? Also, we have a local brewpub down the street that makes blueberry ale once a year. My wife loves that so I'm going to try and find something to do that as well.

Any suggestions on the brewing and/or opinions on the kit I got are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tim

At the top of the page, find the "Recipes" link. It sounds like you will be looking for IPAs and fruit beers, lots to find there. There's a DFH60 in there somewhere, plus other good ones.

The kit will do you fine. You should probably start with a book such as How To Brew by John Palmer, which will explain all about everything.

First off, congrats. Good to see you picking the hobby back up. Now, on to business....

Like Paul said, a secondary is a vessel where your beer will basically clear itself; the yeast will settle out. It typically isn't a vessel for hops; those are usually added during the boil and may be added before packaging. But, for the most part, a secondary will not be used for hops. Again, like Paul said, you will usually let your batch stay in primary for a couple of weeks to finish the initial ferment then rack to secondary to let sit another couple of weeks, usually.

Thanks Avid. So basically I'm going to ferment in the primary and get about an inch of yeast in the bottom of that (or so from what I remember). Then when I siphon off to the secondary the yeast will continue to settle more? Will that make for less yeast at the bottom of the bottle at the end of the process?

Secondary is something that can be debated.

Personally, I dont use a secondary very often. With the exception of a Mead or a possible dry hopping, I just dont have the use for it.

I plan my brewing out so that if I do decide to rack to secondary, I have an empty vessel availble to do it, but again, thats once in a blue moon.

Though I'm doing an IIPA that I'm considering racking to secondary just for ****s and giggles. Havent decided yet.

Point being, dont get too hung up on secondaries. Just brew!

Anyways, welcome back to the obsession.

Back