Just opened my first homebrew and have questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
I just opened up my very first homebrew its been about 3 weeks since bottling and it poured very very foamy huge head on it seems like the second i poured into the glass head formed right away is this normal? And sediment in bottle started churning around once the bottle was opened weird activity normal or not? help!?

I used star san everything was sanitized with the most care possible. Primed with 2 cups water to 1 1/4 cups DME like called for. No off flavors but a very slight soapy after taste with maltiness its a sierra nevada celebration ale clone brew. Only thing I can think of is the bottle I opened was last bottle out of the bottling bucket with heavy yeast sediment from the end of the bucket about 1/4" of it on the bottom of the bottle I dont know if this has anything to do with it.

Sounds like you may have oxygenized during bottling? How did you prevent the beer from splashing into the bottles as you filled them?

It might also be premature bottling. How long did it sit in primary? How long in the secondary?

It could also be partly a temperature issue. What temp did you open the bottles at? Keeping them cold keep more CO2 in suspension.

I used a bottling bucket with a bottle filler. It sat in the primary for 1 week and the secondary for a little over 2 weeks. I opened the bottles at about 50 degrees im guessing they were room temp then went in the fridge for about an hour then opened. Im nervous did I screw up my first brew?!

Try them with a few days refrigeration. This might reabsorb the excess co2 into solution.

I used a bottling bucket with a bottle filler. It sat in the primary for 1 week and the secondary for a little over 2 weeks. I opened the bottles at about 50 degrees im guessing they were room temp then went in the fridge for about an hour then opened. Im nervous did I screw up my first brew?!

Try them with a few days refrigeration. This might reabsorb the excess co2 into solution.

Dontmans' right, an hour's not long enough to help pull the excess co2 into solution, at the minimum you should chill them for 48 hours, though actually a week is even better, because it will also help eliminate any chill haze.

Give them a couple of days and try again...

Back