:( Just noticed AFTER cooling my copper chiller had green markings.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you didn't have a bunch of green or you might have noticed before hand. I do know copper verdgris is made of various copper compound some of which are toxic. I would dump it

I assume you didn't have a bunch of green or you might have noticed before hand. I do know copper verdgris is made of various copper compound some of which are toxic. I would dump it

So pissed but now I know.....search told me baking soda and vinegar....

Is the Statue of Liberty toxic?

absolutly if you have to wash your hands after handling copper verdigris products you most likely shouldn't be drinking them. Just look up Copper Verdigris and you will see that the different compound can be toxic.

Will soaking in Star San takeoff the green?

I do that before every batch and it makes it nice and shiny going into the brew pot.

Yep. I soak my coil in Starsan before AND after using it - I don't boil it anymore because I really think it's silly TBH. Looks brand new, no pitting, no green.

I give mine a dunk in iodophor every time before chilling then rinse, wipe, dunk again. Zero green after three years.

janivar123 said:
A bit off topic but how do i know for certain that my CFC isnt going green inside?

I'm not sure. But this is the single reason I went IC over CFC. I like to see what my wort touches.

I've never heard of this being a problem before. My IC is starting to look a little dull - no green though. Should I be cleaning it with vinegar more often?

not an expert, could be some sort of environment issue, but I had copper verdigris issues with both my IC and my HERMS coil. I cleaned both religiously and after brewing. When I got them ready for use the day before a brew I had the green crap and had to clean them again. Out of desperation I switched to stainless steel IC and HERMS coil and no more worries

If you run star san through your CFC and it comes out clear there is nothing to worry about IMHO.

I keep a bucket of starsan with all of my brewing equipment next to the kettle when brewing. Spoon, Airlock, wort chiller etc.. Leaving it in the startsan makes it nearly looking new. At flameout I drop it in and turn the water on. This also allows me to get a small whirpool going before I add the chiller.

Back