Just jumping in... what do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBumDeac

Reaction score
I've decided (as a New Years resolution) to jump right into home brewing. I live in an apartment, so I don't have much space (or a basement). All I have are John Palmer's "How to Brew" and Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing."

What equipment do I need, and where are the best places to order from?

well, read how to brew...he covers the equipment you'd need. Due to your space constraints, you'll be "limited" to extract brews and partial mashes, or smaller all grain batches.

I'd start with proven-recipe extract kits (brewer's best, AHS, midwest, etc...but NOT Cooper's).

Ditto on the reading. Read as much homebrewing literature as you can get ahold of. Also, browse the threads here. They're full of good information and helpful people.

Also, don't forget to check out the HBT Wiki.

If you're in a bigger city, keep an eye on Craigslist. Many of us have scored pretty good there.

The kit I started with is this one. I got it from Midwest.
Also, check out Austin Homebrew Supply.

Try to see if there is a local Homebrew club in your area. You'll be able to get the real time, one on one interaction with other brewers.

And most of all, Have fun!

Welcome to HBT!

Went by my local home brew store this afternoon and talked to them. Got a free bottle of wine for buying a True Brew K1 set and a Wheat Beer kit. I'm ok with brewing my first beer from a kit, I'll move to extract recipes on my second batch after I've got the process down.

BeachBumDeac said:
I'm ok with brewing my first beer from a kit, I'll move to extract recipes on my second batch after I've got the process down.

That kit is made up of extract so you're already there. Welcome aboard :mug:

Back