Just how "dangerous" is chloramine to homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Here in Plano TX, they're chlorinating the water differently and apparently it's creating chloramines; there's a debate taking place regarding the health aspects (the real Erin Brokovich has even weighed in), but that's another issue. My concern is with regard to homebrew. I'm not using tap water for my wort or to truly wash anything, but what about for an occasional rinse of a spoon or thermometer during the boil? Would the drops that might still be there be an issue? Or should I dry anything before using it again? What about after the boil, assuming I spray Starsan after rinse?

Given a couple of drops of tap water, I wouldn't be concerned. While the taste threshold for chlorophenols in beer are incredibly low, I don't think that your brew would get there with a few drops.

Do avoid tap water for brewing that hasn't been dechlorinated, but don't sweat teeny stuff.

Given a couple of drops of tap water, I wouldn't be concerned. While the taste threshold for chlorophenols in beer are incredibly low, I don't think that your brew would get there with a few drops.

Do avoid tap water for brewing that hasn't been dechlorinated, but don't sweat teeny stuff.

I have the Hach 1454200 Chlorine (Free and Total) Test Kit, Model CN-70, for testing my RO water. I was seeing some color for chloramine at the lowest level this kit can detect coming from my RO system. It was not clear but also not quite as dark as the lowest color. If I read the instruction right you take the value (.2) in the window and divide by 5 which giving 0.04mg/l.

I started adding Camden just to be safe, but is 0.04mg/l anything to worry about for brewing?

Back