Just hope it was a weak bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Found a 22oz Hef bottle broken today, the bottom was broken off, only been in the bottle for 7 days. The FG was 1.010 and ran for 19 days. I used the priming calculator on TastyBrew which came out to 8oz of corn sugar on a 5gal batch.

Fluke or should I be concerned?

Toy4Rick

8 ounces is a helluva drug. like urban said 5 ounces is a normal dose. my advice is put the cases in a big tupperware container and start praying. Or, if you have room put the bottles in a fridge - that will stop exrta carbing.

what kind of beer is this that it requires so much carbonation?

Hefeweizens are supposed to be high carbed. Tastybrew calculated mine closer to 9 oz, but I'm going with 7 when I do mine next week.

I have them in an ice chest as I do all my brews. Learned my lesson when my Mead went off and it wasn't supposed to be carb'd... I lost 6 bottles of a 2 gal batch, not cool

Several calculators I have used indicate 7-9oz for a Hef.

Time will tell

Toy4Rick

So I took each one out and cleaned them up and moved them to another ice chest, no further issues. Might have been a weak or cracked bottle.

I hope
Toy4Rick

I always check my bottles before I bottle in them, and I found one the other day that had an air bubble in the glass. Went ahead and recycled it instead of risk it.

8 oz will give like 4+ vols. That's a lot of pressure for the 12 and 22 oz bottles. There's probably a reason you see german hefs packaged in the heavier 500 ml bottles.

Back