just had my first homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicts

Reaction score
Popped open my 1st homebrew, a bottle of Better Brew Irish Stout. Liike my first orgasm but at least I remember this. I wanna hear about your first beer, homebrew or not. Can't remember my first commercial exactly but had a stach in my room from a friend's mom(shhh) and an ex tenant of my dads. Room temp Anstel I tossed and after 3 Mike's Hard I got nervous because I heard you could throw up :tank: :rockin: :D :mug:

I was nervous too cause it smelt very metally when I bottled it. Very glad it made it though

I tried my first homebrew (a honey wheat) way too early. It was undercarbonated, underaged, and AWESOME. When I started that first batch, I had no idea I would be making good beer. I thought it would just be a cheap drunk, but the process grabbed me, I learned as much as I could, and I've been hooked ever since.

Hope your first brew makes you feel the same way!

Wait - is this an underage kid hiding a fermenter in his room so he can get wasted without having to buy beer? You're 20, so if you're in the states, . . .

My first beer was probably a Sleeman's from my dad with supper.

I'm 2 weeks short of 21. Parents helped me build a wine closet over christmas and enjoy drinking with me. Also bum wine and cider from meto give to coworkers and friends. I wouldn't worry too much

On second thought, I'm sorry for being an ******* there. Hopefully, with the help of your new hobby and legal age, you'll soon discover how much more delicious beer gets than Amstel and the like.

What's funny is that you're a couple months older than me, although growing up in a few different areas in Canada, I've been drinking legally for a few years. I was briefly underage again when I moved East for college, though.

Welcome to the hobby. It's good now, but it'll get better.

edit: Did that first post earn me an EAC card?

Good to hear you're legit. My first beers were all with my parents at dinner, but my first drinking experience (I don't count a glass of beer under my dad's watchful eye) was the summer I was 15 in a canoe in Algonquin park with some friends. We all got totally wasted off some Molson, which for me took about 3 bottles. We were all too drunk to find our camp site, and when we got there none of us could light a fire. And that's the story of how I nearly froze to death in August.

Those days of Amstel were many moons ago, possibly 15. Didn't touch the stuff again until several years later. I haven't tried it since, however have found a great passion for German beers. Perhaps I'm a little looney but feel more responsible than many of my peers. Who else at 20 and in college drinks for the sheer pleasure of perfecting their brew (I'm more into wine but slowly converting) rather than going to parties and whatever images conjure up. I have no idea what an EAC card is but if it's good I'll give it to ya ;) . Not sure where you live(edit: didn't see you were in Halifax) but I have been to Espanola several times. 16 hour drive but well worth it. Fishing and the enviroment in general was cool.

Judd- That's what I'm looking for! Those stories that make you look back and laugh and think

hard to hide these in your parents house

Nice setup you've got there! I'm jealous of those seven full carboys you've got going. I know exactly what you mean about what it's like to drink for pleasure when you're in college. Last year I was in residence as a freshman, and I'd be sitting in my room with a couple buddies sipping Orval or Rogue while my neighbours taped Colt 45 to their hands or funneled Molson Cold Shots.

I don't have any good stories about my first time drinking, but I remember the first time I went out drinking with my friends. We went to a place with about fifty taps and over three hundred beers total. We took turns ordering each other the beers with the silliest names or wittiest descriptions, going for several hours along with a few plates of pub food. It was great fun until the $305 cheque came. We couldn't afford a cab home, so we stumbled drunk in the Canadian winter forty-five minutes to the nearest friend's house. I'm amazed none of us died.

the back three from left to right
California Trinity White wine, Mezza Luna red and a Kiwi Pear wine cooler( gf talked me into that one)

in the front
a strawberry wine actually made out of strawberry jelly and 2 apfelweins.
In the far right is a carboy of Traditonal Euro Bock. That was bottled last night.

In the boxes is a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein and a Irish Stout (which started this thread :) ) 99 bottles to be exact. I highly recommend adding fruit flavoring to apfelwein. My second batch I added raspberry. I found it to be very decent. This time I added Strawberry/ kiwi and really hit it out of the park.
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...awberry+kiwi+extract&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

My first drinking experience was a roller coaster ride. My friend, Andy's, parents had just split up. His dad bought a house in my neighborhood, so he lived a lot closer now. He was the oldest of 5 boys (no wonder mom split), so he was the man in charge when dad had to go out of town on business (which was every other week on average). So long as we let the younger boys drink a little, they were cool with our parties. Well, the first time we tried it, I snuck out of my house by climbing across two window sills 25 feet in the air to get to the porch roof and climbed down. We started off drinking a couple cases of The Beast (Milwaukees Best which is pretty darn bad for those who haven't had it). BTW there were several of us kids there. At some point, we raided the liquor cabinet and this guy, Matt, and I went to town on a bottle of vodka. After some puking and more vodka, the two of us decided it would be a good idea to strip to our boxer shorts, and... well... box. Somehow I managed to climb back into my room that night:drunk: . The next day, I went back to Andy's house and found Matt dragging around the house, covered from head to toe with black and blue bruises. Clearly I had kicked the crap out of him. He told me later that he was pissing blood for two days.

BTW I was only 14 at the time

Judd said:
Good to hear you're legit. My first beers were all with my parents at dinner, but my first drinking experience (I don't count a glass of beer under my dad's watchful eye) was the summer I was 15 in a canoe in Algonquin park with some friends. We all got totally wasted off some Molson, which for me took about 3 bottles. We were all too drunk to find our camp site, and when we got there none of us could light a fire. And that's the story of how I nearly froze to death in August.

Got love it when the temp drops below freezing in the middle of the summer.

Me: "Rent the -10c bag"
Gf: "Why, its Laborday. I'll bring my <instert craptastic car camping, cotton, +15c bag>"
Me: "Ok, but I'm guna say I told you so."

Me: "Freezing rain all day, snow tonight. I told you so."

It will be much later today or tomorrow until I can get around to the recipe but it is very nice. I made a 1 gallon batch and only aged 2 months before I was talked into giving it away for Christmas. Similar in color to a zinfandel. My cousin brought a batch of strawberry made from fresh strawberries and aged for a year. Very similar in taste though his was a dark ruby red in color. From off the top of my head it was 3lbs of jam, 1lb of sugar a pinch of tannin, yeast nutrient and acid blend per gallon
Judd said:
Prolific. That strawberry wine sounds amazing. Care to post the recipe?

My first time drinking.......Me and two friends were at my buddies one afternoon drinking something between warm and hot(summer time, San Diego) old Budweiser that he had stolen from his dads garage. One buddy started chugging it and I thought it was pretty cool until he started puking all over the place. I was probably about 14 at this time. Then got into high-school, started to learn how to drink, and almost even started liking it. I somehow acquired a taste for coors light (easy to drink) but then switched to good ol' Natural Ice. "5.9 alright! we will get way more drunk even faster!" So then went off to college, learned what a respectable beer tasted like....a year later started brewing myself. Still in college and still finding new beers to try. I tend to lay off the Coors Light but definitely stay true to my Nati Ice roots especially when the moneys low and the keggerator tap is dry.

Worked at Micky D's in high school. When it was about 4 months to my 18th birthday, I went wrenchin' on my buddy's Land Cruiser one night while we waited for the rest of the closing crew to get off work (we had the night off). We started to drink a six pack of Red Dog and realized it was time for us to head in to town to meet the crew, so somehow I got elected to shotgun three beers before we left.

On the way to town one of my buddies asked if I was feeling it yet. I said, "No." and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. My face went numb and I couldn't hardly talk.

When we got to McDonald's, I kept apologizing to the manager for showing up on the property drunk (even though they were closed and I wasn't working, and we were all standing in the parking lot BSing) Then a cop drove through the lot and wanted to know why we were loitering, but he didn't see me because my friends had stuffed me in the back of a hatchback car to keep the cop from seeing me.

After the cop left, we drove out to a lake where we'd swim most of the night after work. No one would let me near the water, but that didn't stop me from taking a face plant in the gravel.

It's still one of my fondest memories...12 years later.:)

Back