Just had a commercial mead I liked (technically a hydromel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's from Meridian Hive in Austin, Texas. 5% ABV, in 12 ounce cans like beer. The ingredients are just water, honey, yeast, and sulfites. It is sparkling and dry, but the mild honey flavor suggests a slight sweetness that's probably not really there. It could use a tiny bit of acid; I just got the honey flavored instead of one of their fruited meads. I think I want to try making something like this with some local wildflower honey. Should I use a beer yeast or wine yeast? (I know about adding potassium and yeast nutrients)

Is there any yeast flavor or character when you drink it? If not pick a neutral yeast or go with an ale or beer yeast for that flavor. If you are trying to clone or get close just follow your taste buds. Can't say I've ever tried it so I couldn't tell you what's best.

I don't do clones. But I'd like to make something that resembles this; it's the first mead that I've had that was actually good*. I don't taste anything that screams "beer". I might bump it to 5.5 or 6% but no higher. I'm resisting the urge to add a bunch of ginger; might do that in a later batch. I have kveik yeast, kolsch yeast, Nottingham, and a bunch of different wine yeasts that I like for making cider.

*it's also the first commercial mead. Other meads have been my own attempts at 12% to 15% still meads, but I suspect they were okay but not great, and I just am not wild about mediocre still meads.

Can't say that I have tried a kveik or kolsch yeast, Nottingham always leaves a slight ale flavor/odor for me which I don't mind. Wine yeasts would give a more neutral or estery profile depending on what you choose.
If there isn't a "beer" note jumping out or hinting it's there I would probably start with a wine yeast for a neutral flavor. Go dry and just try to match that honey character you mentioned.
Haven't tried cloning or replicating anything commercial either so it's really up to honey varieties I think. How do you plan to carbonate if you have an idea?

Can't say that I have tried a kveik or kolsch yeast, Nottingham always leaves a slight ale flavor/odor for me which I don't mind. Wine yeasts would give a more neutral or estery profile depending on what you choose.
If there isn't a "beer" note jumping out or hinting it's there I would probably start with a wine yeast for a neutral flavor. Go dry and just try to match that honey character you mentioned.
Haven't tried cloning or replicating anything commercial either so it's really up to honey varieties I think. How do you plan to carbonate if you have an idea?
I plan to carbonate by adding a teaspoon of granulated sugar per 22oz bottle, and sealing with crown caps. I probably won't add any sulfites. Meridian's website says they use orange blossom honey.

Groenfell Meadery has lots of recipes on their site. Most of them are session, or hydromels. Even if you don't want to follow their recipes, it's a good browse for inspiration.

ps- hats off to these guys for posting their recipes and for sponsoring Basic Brewing podcast.

Groenfell Meadery has lots of recipes on their site. Most of them are session, or hydromels. Even if you don't want to follow their recipes, it's a good browse for inspiration.
https://www.groennfell.com/recipes
ps- hats off to these guys for posting their recipes and for sponsoring Basic Brewing podcast.

Thank you so much! The first recipe looks very close to what I got from Meridian. I see they use D-47 in most of their recipes (and the pitch rates are ridiculous); I think I have a packet of that and will just be making about 1.5 gallons.

Yeah I’m not sure why they have such a huge yeast pitch. It’s not a typo, there was an episode on Basic Brewing where they discussed not only a large yeast pitch but an enormous nutrient regimen.
I’ve only made several hydromels (at that strength I prefer cider) but I’ve always pitched one pack of wine yeast. Usually D47 or 71B per 5 gallon batch.

I bought a 24 oz jar of unfiltered raw honey at Aldi. It was the same price as the processed clover honey. (I've had it before, it's really mild, it might be clover honey) I'm going to mix that with 5 quarts of warm tapwater, a little potassium chloride, and a crushed Campden tablet. Let that sit overnight, stir it vigorously, maybe us a whisk to really whip some oxygen in it, and pitch a whole packet of... I'm not sure yet; 71B or BV7 yeast, activated with GoFerm. Wait a few hours for the yeast to acclimatize, then add some yeast nutrient. I think that will give me just over 5% ABV, and should be ready to bottle in just a couple of weeks. I will prime the bottles with table sugar.

If this works, it would be a worthy use for some 20+ year old jars of East Texas dark wild honey from when my father used to raise bees. I'd like to use the stuff (particularly while he's still alive) but I don't want to waste it.

Back