Just got some sad news:-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbunton

Reaction score
Just got some sad news that my preferred home brew shop is closing in the new year due to financial hardship. They were by far the best and most knowledgeable shop in the area I would frequently drive over an hour to get there.

I always loved supporting them

There's one. They are nice but more of a byo place that stocks a few things. I think I will have to start ordering most my stuff online which I'm sure is what's putting him outta business. Too bad mabye I'm a dying breed but never much liked online shopping. I guess I'll have to get with the times

I love online shopping for equipment and such. For ingredients, I much prefer to go to a brick and mortar shop and peruse. Plus, I buy my base grain by the 50-55 lb sack, so it's easier to toss a couple in my trunk than to order it online. Regardless, I buy most of my brewing equipment and all ingredients locally just to support the local guy. My LHBS is a good guy, very knowledgeable, and supports local brew clubs and, plus he's very well stocked. His equipment prices are fairly competitive to online prices. His ingredients prices are cut throat. After figuring in shipping, no online place can match his prices, fortunately for me.

If it weren't for liking my LHBS and wanting to support him, I'd buy online without hesitation. The only downside is having to wait for shipping, however, shipping times are so fast nowadays.

My nearest brick and mortar is an hour and a half away, which sucks indeed as I really would like to buy locally. The one guy here in my town that is trying to get just a basic stock of homebrew stuff in is having all kinds of problems with distributors and such.

I'm being patient and trying to support him by buying my craft brew there, but I have fears he's just going to give up on the idea.

What are these places and where?

There is a new shop in Calverton, I'm in Rocky Point. TJ McBrews in Sound Beach has accounts with homebrew companies, he keeps some stuff on hand but will order what you need. The Riverhead Agway called Talmadge Farm has an aisle of supplies too. Where on LI are you?

There is a new shop in Calverton, I'm in Rocky Point. TJ McBrews in Sound Beach has accounts with homebrew companies, he keeps some stuff on hand but will order what you need. The Riverhead Agway called Talmadge Farm has an aisle of supplies too. Where on LI are you?
Farmingville down North Ocean, I thought they might be a little closer my way but Arbor would still be quicker I think.

My nearest brick and mortar is an hour and a half away, which sucks indeed as I really would like to buy locally. The one guy here in my town that is trying to get just a basic stock of homebrew stuff in is having all kinds of problems with distributors and such.

I'm being patient and trying to support him by buying my craft brew there, but I have fears he's just going to give up on the idea.

are you near Woodstock? I think Barrel and Barley is stocking some homebrew items

are you near Woodstock? I think Barrel and Barley is stocking some homebrew items

'Bout 2 hours away, that one. I'm up here in Floyd county and the very closest and most pleasant drive is north to Chattanooga. Schoolhouse in Marietta is second closest. Nearest on the 'Bama side is Huntsville and Birmingham, unless I'm mistaken.
Dude at The Foundry in Rome is slowly amassing a pile of what he says is HB supplies and indeed I see 6.5 gal buckets in the mix, so I have reason to believe him. They are brand new and still trying to get everything set up. I'd love to see a club start up around here as well, as the closest I've been able to find is a good hour away.

I'm in a black hole up here, I think.

Since I started brewing, my area lost one that was about 1/2 hour away and gained 2. One is an hour away, but the other is about 10 minutes away and is a very good store.

Farmingville down North Ocean, I thought they might be a little closer my way but Arbor would still be quicker I think.

Im in Port Jeff. You are close to me and JohnSand. We should get together for a homebrew! I go to Karps and Arbor but Arbor more often lately as they are about 10 minutes closer and more likely to have what I am looking for on hand.

Im in Port Jeff. You are close to me and JohnSand. We should get together for a homebrew! I go to Karps and Arbor but Arbor more often lately as they are about 10 minutes closer and more likely to have what I am looking for on hand.

Arbor is well stocked, and they're always open when they say they are.

Arbor is only 15 minutes away and my wife works on Carlton Ave and if I call ahead they have my order made up and my wife picks it up. So basically I never have to leave the couch which makes complaining about the occasional drive tough to do :D
I've been in Karps a few times and I'm not a fan of that place. Its a hardware store and the kids working there don't have a clue about homebrew

I'm in south Mississippi near Hattiesburg. Less than a year ago a local bottle shop added homebrew supplies. His prices on base malt are GREAT, some other things are quite expensive and there are other bargains. The selection is quite limited also. I've been thinking of opening a shop myself but it's a hard row to hoe with e-commerce, small established competition that is diversified, and the smallish brewing community in MS. That said there is tons of room for growth and a well run shop that did classes and educational programs would have a shot at success.

Eric makes a good point. We should try a Long Island meeting, or maybe a Suffolk County one. I know that there are two clubs here, but I'm thinking of something less formal. Hoppy, you should join us too.

I'm in south Mississippi near Hattiesburg. Less than a year ago a local bottle shop added homebrew supplies. His prices on base malt are GREAT, some other things are quite expensive and there are other bargains. The selection is quite limited also. I've been thinking of opening a shop myself but it's a hard row to hoe with e-commerce, small established competition that is diversified, and the smallish brewing community in MS. That said there is tons of room for growth and a well run shop that did classes and educational programs would have a shot at success.

I wish you success if you do.

Went in today and bought a crapload of stuff should be set for a while. Talked with the owner for a while seems he is just ready to move on, I did express how sad I was to see him close and thanked him for all the help and advice he's given me over that last 8 monthes or so. RIP Brewmonger.

IMG_4156.jpg

Went in today and bought a crapload of stuff should be set for a while. Talked with the owner for a while seems he is just ready to move on, I did express how sad I was to see him close and thanked him for all the help and advice he's given me over that last 8 monthes or so. RIP Brewmonger.

Hey! It could be worse! You could be a Browns fan!

Oh, wait a minute...

:ban:

Ya lol only reason I'm wearing a bud light shirt I got as a gift lol. Can only get better for us next year. Unless we go 0-16. Lol if that happens I'm done with the browns lol.

Ya lol only reason I'm wearing a bud light shirt I got as a gift lol. Can only get better for us next year. Unless we go 0-16. Lol if that happens I'm done with the browns lol.

I've gotten a few junk shirts as gifts. They make good brewing shirts, for work and as rags.

Nice score at the LHBS, by the way. Good luck finding a new one.

Back