Just got my new Spike Brewing BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats!!i am very happy with mine. I plan to break it in tomorrow.

3E765790-FE7E-48F5-8CD2-A947EB515A57_zps7iyjztmu.jpg

I also had the 15 gallon kettle delivered yesterday. The steel is thick, heavy duty. There were a couple of odd spots on the bottom of the kettle (probably from machining) that cleaned up fine with some BKF. For those who get the vertical second coupling, it definitely does read at 5 gallons (I never intend to go smaller than 5.5 or 6 gallons).

I had one of Bobby's 5/8 inch pick up tubes kicking around. I installed that and was able to drain all but about 1.5 quarts. I wouldn't want any more than that.

I was able to get my Morebeer IC in there easily. I asked Spike if they would notch the lid for me, but they said they were too busy. I can get it done locally I guess. The kettle had everything else I wanted.

I think they are right in that this will outlast me. It's beautiful and tough.

One odd observation. Look at the label on the ball valve handle, and how it points to open and closed. Does that seem backwards? I couldn't care less, the interface with a ball valve is pretty low level thinking, but don't the open/closed seem backwards? Probably just me.

I ordered a BK & MLT with additional ports for recirculating. Supposed to ship tomorrow. Can't wait!!

Back