Just got a burner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Well today is my birthday and the lovely old lady gave me a turkey fryer kit! So that means I'm only a 15 gallon pot and a brew bag away from doing my first BIAB! The pot that came with the kit is a 34 liter piece. Would this be big enough for a 23 liter batch?

Well today is my birthday and the lovely old lady gave me a turkey fryer kit! So that means I'm only a 15 gallon pot and a brew bag away from doing my first BIAB! The pot that came with the kit is a 34 liter piece. Would this be big enough for a 23 liter batch?

Congrats! Always nice when SWMBO impliedly accepts the obsession of homebrewing. I think your pot should be big enough, just pay a little closer attention to your first brew with it so you don't get a boil over. FWIW, I do 5 gallon batches in 7.5 gallon pot all the time, so I don't think you should have any problem doing a ~6 gallon batch in a ~9 gallon pot.

Just a thought. I heated up a pot full of water to mash in temps, and I think I could use heat to hold those temps if I could install a pilot light or ignitor onto my burner. I tried turning down the heat but to get the flame down enough for the water temp to stop rising/drop the flame blows out with the wind, and it wasn't a windy day at all.
Anyone got any ideas of how I can install a simple ignitor or pilot light onto my burner?

Congrats! Always nice when SWMBO impliedly accepts the obsession of homebrewing. I think your pot should be big enough, just pay a little closer attention to your first brew with it so you don't get a boil over. FWIW, I do 5 gallon batches in 7.5 gallon pot all the time, so I don't think you should have any problem doing a ~6 gallon batch in a ~9 gallon pot.

haha :D

happy birthday!!

Just a thought. I heated up a pot full of water to mash in temps, and I think I could use heat to hold those temps if I could install a pilot light or ignitor onto my burner. I tried turning down the heat but to get the flame down enough for the water temp to stop rising/drop the flame blows out with the wind, and it wasn't a windy day at all.
Anyone got any ideas of how I can install a simple ignitor or pilot light onto my burner?

try putting a lid on the pot and wrapping with a sleeping bag or something to hold in the heat. i find it's easier to get and hold a temperature stable that way then try to do it with direct heat. with just 2 beach towels i can hold a given temp on my set up for a full 60 min with only 1-2 degree drop, if any.

Even if I could keep a nice mash temp, I'd be looking into a pilot light. Once the mash is over it's gonna be a terrible pain trying to re-light the burner without removing the kettle.

According to my BIAB calculator, you need 7.75 gallons of strike water for a 10lb grain bill. Add the grain and you'll be close to full. You should easily be able to brew session strength beers with that setup.

http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/

Session strength beers can be made as stong and you like with a little DME so no reason to limit yourself to only one strength or style.

Back