Just got a 5-gallon bucket of honey...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCWortHog

Reaction score
And I have what I feel like is a pretty dumb question but I'm looking for some helpful advice..

How on earth do I get the honey out of the bucket without making an utter mess? There's no honey gate on the bucket, which for whatever reason was kind of a standard thing on bulk honey. Guess not.

So... any helpful tips? :mug:

You could transfer it to a bucket with a spigot (a la bottling bucket).

It's going to be messy any way you cut it though.

Thanks Bopper. I thought about the bottling bucket, but my suspicion is that the hole is too small to allow for decent honey flow. I don't want to stand there for an hour pouring 20 pounds of honey. ;)

Though now that I think about it, I bet I could get a bottling bucket and replace the spigot with something bigger..... hmmmm....

I just put my primary right next to the bucket of honey and scoop it out with a measuring cup. Although, I go by SG, so I don't actually pay attention to the measurements.

What if you heated the honey up with out burning it of coarse wouldn't it poor more easily then?
I have never done anything with honey just know how to get it out of a bottle when it crystizes fro toast Mmmmm

Get a big, wide opening funnel for pouring into your carboy. If you're fermenting in a bucket, just pour it in there ;) Yes it will be slow, yes it will be heavy, it might even be messy. Put the bucket next to a space heater or your heating ducts to loosen it up as much as possible.

I have not tried it yet but how about a spout like this:
a04552a9-05a6-483c-a9cf-131a5bc9038c_3.jpg

but did not know if they had the opening in the lid.

Back