Just finished my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenCanuck

Reaction score
So far so good. After doing copious amounts of research in order to understand techniques of brewing, I just put my first batch into primary.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/1-gallon-chocolate-maple-porter

Using a modified version of that recipe and a double batch, it looks and smells like I did my mash right. Took a few runs through my mashing tun to get all of the draff out. The nice thing about porters is that you can see most of the grains floating on the top. I had to swap the Chateau Special B for Crystal 120 malt since I couldn't find it around here, and I used 3 lbs of dark Quebec maple syrup for a 2 gallon batch as the reason being that initial taste was strong on the coffee and not very sweet, I wanted it a bit sweeter. Just pitched it with White Labs London Ale Yeast. 1.100 gravity before pailing it for primary.

I am pretty happy so far, let's hope it turns out to be a good beer.

So far so good. After doing copious amounts of research in order to understand techniques of brewing, I just put my first batch into primary.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/1-gallon-chocolate-maple-porter

Using a modified version of that recipe and a double batch, it looks and smells like I did my mash right. Took a few runs through my mashing tun to get all of the draff out. The nice thing about porters is that you can see most of the grains floating on the top. I had to swap the Chateau Special B for Crystal 120 malt since I couldn't find it around here, and I used 3 lbs of dark Quebec maple syrup for a 2 gallon batch as the reason being that initial taste was strong on the coffee and not very sweet, I wanted it a bit sweeter. Just pitched it with White Labs London Ale Yeast. 1.100 gravity before pailing it for primary.

I am pretty happy so far, let's hope it turns out to be a good beer.

Now the hard part begins.....waiting a month or so before drinking the fruits of your labor :mug:

Back