Just finished my first batch - a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So, I brewed for the first time today - I'm hooked and I haven't even tasted the beer. I did have to pitch a little warmer than I would have liked but we'll just have to wait and see.

Here are my questions:

1) if I am using bottled water, do I have to boil the water I am just going to add to the wort to bring the amount up to 5 gal.? If I don't have to boil it, it will make pitching at the right temp a lot easier.

2) I didn't notice too much foaming or even come close to a boil-over due to my stove being a bit old I think. Should I be worried or just happy boil-over wasn't an issue?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

1. I use filtered water that i fill up in 5-gallon jugs from a vending-type machine. I then use about half of it for the boil, and add the other half to the wort at room temp, without boiling it. And, I have had no issues with contamination. I don't think you would need to worry about bottled water. I would try it first without boiling, that way you will know without going to all the extra work for nothing.

2. I guess with boil over, it depends on how full your pot of wort is, and how closely you watch your wort. If you boiled it, and you did not have a boil-over, then great! there is nothing to worry about. Maybe by gradually bringing to a boil, as opposed to quickly, then you might lessen the chances as well, who knows?

I have only brewed twice so far...and so far both have been successful. I steep at 2 gallons..but I also bring to a full boil after the grains have had the chance to brew for about 1/2 hour. I keep it at a full boil for an hour. A friend recommended that to me to help eliminate the possibilities of contamination, as I brew outside.

When adding the hops to the final few minutes of boil...it is easy to get that boil over. Something about the chemical reaction with the hops really brings the boil up.

Hope this helps...But I prefer to boil.

I'll second the fact that you don't have to boil bottled water. It is sanitary if not sterile. I put at least a gallon in the freezer at brewing conception and by the time I'm ready to top off, that gallon takes care of most of my temp worries.

As far as the boil goes, you want a rolling boil, which should cause a strong "head" to develop on the boiling wort. If you couldn't achieve a rolling boil you may not have had adequate agitation and heat energy for the "magic to happen". However don't fret, it is still beer that you're making.
Try a smaller boil or better heat source next batch. I cleaned the burners on my stove and that netted a few BTU judging from the time it takes to get to a boil vs. what it used to take.

Thanks for the info, I boiled 2.5 gallons this go 'round, next time I think I'll only boil 2. I have a gas stove so I'm not sure why I never got more activity during the rolling boil, ah well.

As for the bottled water, I think I'll skip boiling next time around. I'm also thinking about buying more ice for the cooling bath to see if that helps too.

TheJadedDog said:
Thanks for the info, I boiled 2.5 gallons this go 'round, next time I think I'll only boil 2. I have a gas stove so I'm not sure why I never got more activity during the rolling boil, ah well.

As for the bottled water, I think I'll skip boiling next time around. I'm also thinking about buying more ice for the cooling bath to see if that helps too.
I've got electric at my house and I've found that 2 gallons gets up to a rolling boil easier than 2.5. The last kit that I just did called for 2.5, but I only used 2 for just that reason, and as far as I can tell it still makes for a good beer. I made sure the grains had enough room to be immersed and move around.

As for ice I can tell you from experience it definitly helps to get that temperature down quicker. Although not usually recommended due to possible contamination, I have used a bag of ice plus a quart of cold water as a substitute for one gallon. The reason I did it was because friends were coming over for a brew session and I wanted it to go as quickly as possible. Some here have also recommend freezing a whole gallon of water and putting that into the bucket to pour the hot wort onto (obviously you have to cut the plastic jug to get the giant ice cube in there). Basically whatever works for you works best.

Jason

Latest posts

Back