Just finishd brewing my Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Reaction score
I woke up at5:30 this morning and got the Mash started at 6:15. everything went smooth and pitched at 10:00.

I was going for an all German Hefe and this is what I came up with Beersmith (Coolest program on my computer)

Ingredients

2.25 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min)
1 Pkgs German Wheat (WLP300)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050
Est Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.83 %
Bitterness: 13.1 IBU Calories:
Est Color: 4.9 SRM

I figured a great way to figure how much DME to add after the mash to hit the correct gravity using Beersmith. This might be the way everyone does it, but I'll share anyway.

I have been using Deathbrewers technique to do a partial mash which works great! After I mash and sparge I poor them into my brew pot and add water up to the 5 gal mark. At that point I pull a sample and cool it down to 60 degrees while the wort is coming upto a boil. Today I hit 1.030 with the the 5 LBS of grain. I then go back to Beersmith and delete the DME from the recipe and I start uping the brewhouse efficiency till I hit the 1.030 which was at 80%, then I start adding the DME back into the recipe till I hit the correct OG needed. Today was 2.25 LBS of wheat DME to hit the 1.050 needed for the brew. There might be an easier way but its worked perfect for me twice now and there is no thinking involved which is right up my ally.

I figured I would share my experience since I have learned so much from all the great posts here on this great forum.

Thanks for looking

Thanks, I just learned something :mug:

My goal when I put this together was to use all German inexpedience. Could I have called it a Hefe if I used American grains? I Would guess it has more to do with the yeast.

Back