Just dumped two batches due to vinegary taste/smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Allow me to first preface this with a simple fact. I treated this mead terribly and with shameful neglect, I'm a monster and given the chance I'd probably steal candy for a baby (p.s I ate most of my son's halloween candy)

So I just dumped two different batches of mead due to a overpowering vinegar smell/taste (yeah, I tasted it even though I smelled it first).

These are both batches from around 2012 that have been sitting in carboys bulk aging, because I've been so busy with my son and work I just never got around to it.

Neither batch had excessive headroom, however I know at least once both batches had the airlocks run dry which could have allowed oxygen in. Both batches were on their third racking so while there was minimal sediment in the bottom, neither were on their yeast cake.

I suspect both were caused by exposure to oxygen via the dry airlocks, but I'm not sure what other factors could have contributed to this as I typically brew beer which has a much faster turnover time.

As I don't want to repeat this failure with future batches, what's typically the longest I should consider bulk aging in the carboy?

Vinegar is acetic acid, caused by the bacteria acetobacter, which is incredibly present and acts ****!ing fast. My guess is a small fruit fly or something made its way in through your airlock and turned your mead.

Yup. An infection needs two things - bacteria and oxygen. Minimal headspace and a tight airlock and of course sanitation are standard practice in this hobby. A fruit fly can ruin your whole day.

Don't dump mead. It can make a great marinade or in this case a base for a salad dressing. I have a watermelon batch that tastes like the rind and I use it to cook pork roast or shredded pork in the crockpot with, tastes wonderful.

Matrix

Don't dump mead. It can make a great marinade or in this case a base for a salad dressing. I have a watermelon batch that tastes like the rind and I use it to cook pork roast or shredded pork in the crockpot with, tastes wonderful.

Matrix

Artisan vinegar gifts for everyone!

No one answered your aging question yet. So the longest time to bulk age is up to you. I bulk age all my stuff 6 months minimum. I only bulk age and once I bottle I start drinking it. Yes it still ages some but generally when one batch finishes I have another one about ready to bottle. But since my family has started asking for extra Christmas bottles now I am going to have to start having an extra jug ready to bottle before xmas. I may start the extra jug and let it bulk age a few extra months to enhance flavor but as for bulk ageing you can do it for the entire duration of your intended again time. The issue is you NEED to keep airlock full and ensure proper seal to jug. I wrap the spout and the rubber stopper in plastic wrap and hit with a hair dryer which tightens it up and ensures a proper seal. Then just set an alarm on my phone that goes off weekly to check the alcohol in my air locks. I use isopropyl alcohol in my air locks but you can use whatever you want. Vodka, sanitizer solution, water, just whatever is your choice. Goodluck

Latest posts

Back