Just dug up some more rhizomes... any input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

fred_zepp

Reaction score
So I moved in January and transplanted my two surviving hop plants about two weeks ago. Then I started to wonder how much of these plants i left behind. So I went back to my old place this morning to dig a little bit and found some more rhizomes left behind. I was astonished to see how big these were after just a year:

cascade

and willamette

Am I correct to assume that all "root" part of these plants are rhizomes??? (its been a while since I took biology). If so, would you separate the bigger pieces into smaller pieces, or just plant as-is?

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Can't see your pictures to comment, but of all 4 varieties I planted last year only the Willamettes seemed to survive and flourish. Maybe it was because I planted a big crown instead of just a little rhizome. I dug it up last winter to move it, and decided to split it in half since the other hop plants didn't make it, and both pieces have really took off in their new location, so I don't think it will hurt anything to seperate the bigger pieces.

OP
F

fred_zepp

Reaction score
pictures fixed.

crowns should be pointing the same direction they were growing originally i assume, but otherwise, buds should be pointed up form what i read somewhere last year... right?

GearBeer

Reaction score
Yes, buds should be pointed up.

I don't think that any root portion is considered a rhizome. I'm not sure what the distinguishing characteristic is, but I think only some parts of the root grow eyes.

david_42

Reaction score
I wouldn't cut pieces smaller than 8-9 inches. Rhizomes are mainly sections of the secondary roots, but you can also make them by burying the bines.

OP
F

fred_zepp

Reaction score
interesting...all good info. maybe i will bury a few bines for next year...hops everywhere:tank:

david_42

Reaction score
Believe me, you'll have hops everywhere after two years anyway.