just did a "reality" home brewing show

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Bastard

Reaction score
A local micro brewery held a pro-am home brew contest near me.I entered it naturally,an amber ale and moose drool clone I make all the time.

Some how a production company got wind of the contest and sent an e-mail to our local clubs mailing list asking for volunteers to do a documentary on home brewing.I answered them,sent pics of my system and me.They called me and asked a bunch of questions and were real excited about my set up.Thats all they could talk about really,thats what got me in the show.

I thought they wanted to learn about home brewing and film some one doing a complete brew day.Turns out they really are doing a "reality" type show formatted kinda like bbq pit masters.3 home brewers competing against each other inside the real competition.who ever scored the most points with their entry would be the winner.

obviously these folks have no clue about home brewing and bjcp competitions and how they work.I tried explaining things to them about brewing to a style not what ever tastes good etc.They didn't seem concerned so I figured "what the hell" how often do you get a chance to do a tv show?

They came out on a Saturday and filmed me. instead of just filming me do a home brew from start to finish like I thought they would.They were just after quick clips of me doing various things,and sound bites where I was fed alot of the lines.we only got through the mash and sparge stage before they had me change clothes and pretend to be bottling the beer for competition.They left after that,and I finshed the brew alone.

Things didn't go well at first.My scale took a **** and I had to pretend to weigh my grain.fortunately I know that my container when full is 5 lbs,my recipe called for 9.75,so I eyeballed it.
at one point I dropped my thermometer and it quit working.They got real excited about that and asked how big of a disaster it was.I told them not a big one but I did need it to check my mash bed temp and to know the temp of my wort when cooling it.They had me redrop it and film it and had me send my out for a new one,they filmed her delivering it.(exciting tv)

They kept asking me "what could go bad here,is this critical?" while I was milling my grain and mashing in the grain.I told them worst thing that could happen is I get bad efficiency or a stuck mash because I recirculate.not sure why they kept asking it,looking for drama?

They were here for 4 hours and on a normal brew day I would have been done and cooling my wort.I either had to wait for them to set up to do anything or redo what I just did so they could get it on film.hell we spent 10 minutes on me lighting a friggen burner

I am not very articulate and I have a hard time getting what I am thinking out of my lips coherently,especially when nervous.I was real nervous.I know I made some mistakes with regards to technical aspects of brewing and rambled a bit before I got to the answer I should have.sometimes I probably didn't get technical enough or give a more complete answer.

My worries are these folks aren't smart enough or care enough to catch my mistakes and edit them out.All the home brewers watching are certainly going to catch them and thin k "what a ****ing idiot!" "he doesn't know ****"

Oh,one more thing.When my scale broke,I let a few f-bombs and mfers out.They liked it and "encouraged" me to keep it up.I guess I will be the foul mouthed ******* on the show.

The following Saturday was the "competition". the judging was done on Friday night by all bjcp certified judges.The brewery would announce the winners at 7pm as to not conflict with firestones anniversary party.

I had to be at the brewery at noon with the 2 other contestants for the show.They shot footage of us showing up,meeting each other,tasting each others brews and chatting.did a lot of talking head interviews.They shot the winner of the tv show portion,I finished in second place.

The real competition awards ceremony happened after that. out of 129 entries, I managed to win BOS and runner up in BOS! That's first and second place! I never would have imagined winning.I'm still in shock.

I screwed up the tv show,the producer was scrambling pretty good trying to figure out how to explain the loser of the show winning the real competition with a beer he didn't mention or film being made.

so... that's it so far.My winning was not in their plans.It will be interesting to see how they cut the show.

sorry about the wall of text
edit: I won a lifetime membership to front sight in Nevada and I will be brewing my recipe on the brewery 20 bbl system.The beer will be sold in the tap room and the money will go to charity.

Congrats on the BOS and runner up. One heck of an accomplishment and filmed no less. Did they say anything about when the show may be on and which network?

Congrats on the BOS and runner up. One heck of an accomplishment and filmed no less. Did they say anything about when the show may be on and which network?

the show is a pilot,they are going to shop it to the networks once the editing is done.if/when it's bought they will tell me when and where it will air.
They did say if it's picked up they plan on making a series out of it,doing additional episodes with other home brewers.

the show is a pilot,they are going to shop it to the networks once the editing is done.if/when it's bought they will tell me when and where it will air.
They did say if it's picked up they plan on making a series out of it,doing additional episodes with other home brewers.

Tell them to do a Belgian monk brewery episode (see my Big Brother Brewery post), then go to Germany, you gotta go international.

Very cool and congrats on winning! 1st and 2nd. That works really well out of over 100 entrants...

Congrats on the show and, more importantly, on the BOSes!

How did you finish second for tv?

That was a great post. The best part was BOS and having it on tap for charity. Just beautiful.

We can hope the film crew learned something but really, they just want to capture anything where people cuss and belittle others, WCF over suds is the thing.. Most brew competitions are more like :mug:, share and learn.

Congrats on the win(s).

Docu-drama Vs documentary.

They didn't give you a business card? Hacks....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha,funny story. Im following this.Interesting. Pretending to bottle,re dropping the thremometer. Good stuff. Thats reality ? shows for ya.

Congrats on the show and, more importantly, on the BOSes!

How did you finish second for tv?

The shows premis was 3 people competing against each other within the main competition.we each chose one beer for them to follow from brew to judging.who ever scored the most points on that beer was the winner.while my beer did not score as high as the winners it did win it's category and was advanced to BOS and it finshed runner up to my first place beer.

A local micro brewery held a pro-am home brew contest near me.I entered it naturally,an amber ale and moose drool clone I make all the time.

Some how a production company got wind of the contest and sent an e-mail to our local clubs mailing list asking for volunteers to do a documentary on home brewing.I answered them,sent pics of my system and me.They called me and asked a bunch of questions and were real excited about my set up.Thats all they could talk about really,thats what got me in the show.

I thought they wanted to learn about home brewing and film some one doing a complete brew day.Turns out they really are doing a "reality" type show formatted kinda like bbq pit masters.3 home brewers competing against each other inside the real competition.who ever scored the most points with their entry would be the winner.

obviously these folks have no clue about home brewing and bjcp competitions and how they work.I tried explaining things to them about brewing to a style not what ever tastes good etc.They didn't seem concerned so I figured "what the hell" how often do you get a chance to do a tv show?

They came out on a Saturday and filmed me. instead of just filming me do a home brew from start to finish like I thought they would.They were just after quick clips of me doing various things,and sound bites where I was fed alot of the lines.we only got through the mash and sparge stage before they had me change clothes and pretend to be bottling the beer for competition.They left after that,and I finshed the brew alone.

Things didn't go well at first.My scale took a **** and I had to pretend to weigh my grain.fortunately I know that my container when full is 5 lbs,my recipe called for 9.75,so I eyeballed it.
at one point I dropped my thermometer and it quit working.They got real excited about that and asked how big of a disaster it was.I told them not a big one but I did need it to check my mash bed temp and to know the temp of my wort when cooling it.They had me redrop it and film it and had me send my out for a new one,they filmed her delivering it.(exciting tv)

They kept asking me "what could go bad here,is this critical?" while I was milling my grain and mashing in the grain.I told them worst thing that could happen is I get bad efficiency or a stuck mash because I recirculate.not sure why they kept asking it,looking for drama?

They were here for 4 hours and on a normal brew day I would have been done and cooling my wort.I either had to wait for them to set up to do anything or redo what I just did so they could get it on film.hell we spent 10 minutes on me lighting a friggen burner

I am not very articulate and I have a hard time getting what I am thinking out of my lips coherently,especially when nervous.I was real nervous.I know I made some mistakes with regards to technical aspects of brewing and rambled a bit before I got to the answer I should have.sometimes I probably didn't get technical enough or give a more complete answer.

My worries are these folks aren't smart enough or care enough to catch my mistakes and edit them out.All the home brewers watching are certainly going to catch them and thin k "what a ****ing idiot!" "he doesn't know ****"

Oh,one more thing.When my scale broke,I let a few f-bombs and mfers out.They liked it and "encouraged" me to keep it up.I guess I will be the foul mouthed ******* on the show.

The following Saturday was the "competition". the judging was done on Friday night by all bjcp certified judges.The brewery would announce the winners at 7pm as to not conflict with firestones anniversary party.

I had to be at the brewery at noon with the 2 other contestants for the show.They shot footage of us showing up,meeting each other,tasting each others brews and chatting.did a lot of talking head interviews.They shot the winner of the tv show portion,I finished in second place.

The real competition awards ceremony happened after that. out of 129 entries, I managed to win BOS and runner up in BOS! That's first and second place! I never would have imagined winning.I'm still in shock.

I screwed up the tv show,the producer was scrambling pretty good trying to figure out how to explain the loser of the show winning the real competition with a beer he didn't mention or film being made.

so... that's it so far.My winning was not in their plans.It will be interesting to see how they cut the show.

sorry about the wall of text
edit: I won a lifetime membership to front sight in Nevada and I will be brewing my recipe on the brewery 20 bbl system.The beer will be sold in the tap room and the money will go to charity.

Reality TV is like that. Repeating shots from different angles and the like. The show is a lot like brewing in that the right ingredients have to happen at the right time or it's a total loss. And it's hard work working with people that have never been in front of a camera before. A good director plans for the what is and is able to relax the talent. Being a home brewer (FNG) I understand what it is we are doing here and the real story that needs to be told.. You experienced it first hand. Was it fun after it was all said and done? Only you know that answer but you won 1st and 2nd so it had to be somewhat fun I imagine. Thanks for sharing that with me. Cool story.

That was a great post. The best part was BOS and having it on tap for charity. Just beautiful.

We can hope the film crew learned something but really, they just want to capture anything where people cuss and belittle others, WCF over suds is the thing.. Most brew competitions are more like :mug:, share and learn.

My show won't be like that, especially because I brew and want to learn more about it.what a great way to meet people too. I don't want people bashing people. HERS aren't like that, at least the ones I've talked with. Actually just the opposite. We all help each other and that's why I know my program will do great. And I'll get to sample all different types of brewskis while working. Now that's a cool job.
:mug:

that sounds like a great experience!

I've always thought about a Chopped style show but with homebrewing. I think it would be pretty cool.

The DFH show that was years ago was awesome. I really dug how Sam got to travel the world to seek inspiration for new beers. Lots of drama in that one too!

Back