Just cracked open my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
Well, I finally opened one bottle of my first batch. It is a Czech Pilsner that fermented for 2 weeks and conditioned in bottles for 3. It was a mr beer extract kit.

I was pretty happy with the results. It has plenty of carbonation, not a great head but has retained its carbonation and feels like beer. The flavor however isn't great.

It isn't bad by any stretch. There just is not a whole lot of flavor. It has a bit of a cidery taste but not much else. Not off putting flavors, just nothing recognizable or great.

Any thoughts? Help is always appreciated. I'm hoping to improve for my second batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413518324.309663.jpg

It was probably the kit. Do you have any idea how old it is? I've never actually used a Mr. Beer kit so I can't comment on the ingredients, but I would imagine they are... uh... "cost effective."

Do you know the starting or final gravities? Alcohol content? Some of those could help explain it. I had a friend who did a kit from a can and it was pretty awful... mostly watery. If you do the same kit again, you could cut down on the batch size to concentrate it a bit more (use less water, or don't top it off in the fermenter).

For your next batch I would suggest using a Brewers Best or a Northern Brewer kit. I've done a couple and they turned out pretty good. The ingredients are the same thing as if you would put them together yourself.

I know it isn't the best haha. It's brand new. I got the kit at the beginning of September for my birthday. I was given a few refill packs so I will at least burn through those first.

Back