Just complaining out loud!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I needed to take a 2 gallon bucket fermenter out of my ferm chamber today to make room for a new 5 gallon batch. When I picked it up, there was a little puddle of beer under it. The stupid bucket has a pin-hole leak on the bottom. It's not quite finished fermenting, and I don't have a secondary that small to transfer it to. I just ended up putting a piece of packing tape over the hole, and I put it in to another larger bucket. I'm just going to let it ride for another week, leak and all. I don't think I'll lose more than about an ounce or two. Just when you thought you experienced everything... :mad:

Duct tape fixes everything

That's actually what I was wanting to use, but I don't have any. The packing tape isn't really working. It's still dripping, but at least it's a VERY slow leak. I'll check gravity in a couple days. If it doesn't drop anymore, I'll hurry and bottle it up.

Do you have a pot you can rack the brew to? Something in the kitchen cabinet with a lid? Something like that should work just fine as long as it is sanitized. Look around :mug:

EDIT: If you have a container but no lid use plastic wrap or al foil.

I actually have another 2 gallon bucket and lid, but I don't want to take the beer off of the yeast yet. It's a big beer (1.081), and it's still at 1.026. I checked this morning, and it has only lost about half a tsp in 12 hours, so I'm going to leave it one or two more days and check gravity again. If the gravity keeps dropping I'll leave it alone for a few more days. If not it's going in to bottles.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I agree with Dan, but the tape should work. I'd spray it with StarSan though after (and before) the patch.

Why star san it? that's just gonna risk the integrity of the Duct Tape, If you're gonna do that you have to make a more complex tape right like make a patch out of 4-6 pieces where you tape 2 pieces together than press that tape against the bucket and tape it down.. I think a few days of duct tape touching trub isn't the end of the world.

I really don't think it's a big deal, since it's such a slow leak. I'll just call it "Slow Drip Stout"!

Back