Just Checked Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortIfied

Reaction score
Here is a rough background/lead up to my question:
Brew: IIPA
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 x2 Smack packs
Pitch Temp: 62F
Fermentation Temp: 62-64f
Original Gravity: 1.080
Fermentation Period so far has been 5 days, i just checked the gravity due to lack of activity in my carboy, it read 1.020 on one hydrometer, and 1.018 on another, so im going with 1.019. Its pretty close to my recipes target final gravity seeing as i overshot the Original gravity by .006-.010

Now bear with me, this is my first brew, and granted it has only been five days, but i would like a little direction from here. Should i take this carboy out of the swamp cooler and let sit at ambient temp(73f) for another week and then dry hop also at room temp?

The recipe calls for 2oz cascade dry hopping:
(taken from midwest website)9.3 lbs. Gold Malt extract, 4 oz. Aromatic, 12 oz. Caramel 60L, 8 oz. Victory specialty grains, 1 oz. Chinook, 1 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Centennial, 1 oz. Crystal, 2 oz. Leaf (dry hop) SG:1.070-1.074 FG: 1.016-1.018

edit: it DID taste yummy and smelled hoptastic!

If you only have 1 swamp cooler and are ready to get another batch going, then I'd pull it out, but otherwise, just leave it in. It will insulate it from any temperature swings in the house. Since you are close to your target FG, it's probably done with the fermentation stage, but you definately want to give the yeast time to clean up yet.

Yea id leave it 5 days is not long enough IMO, expecially since the starting gravity was so high. Id give it at LEAST two more weeks and then rack to secondary. Gotta be patient with high gravity beers.

i Definitely plan on leaving it, just looking for direction as far as leaving it in primary for how much longer and weither i should leave it in the swamp cooler and if so what temp?

Your vigorous ferment is over and your flavor profile is already pretty much set. The yeast have eaten all the easy to consume sugars and are working on the more complex stuff and they can use a little more warmth for that. Take it out of the swamp cooler and let it have another week or even 2 at room temperature and then dry hop at that same temperature.

Your vigorous ferment is over and your flavor profile is already pretty much set. The yeast have eaten all the easy to consume sugars and are working on the more complex stuff and they can use a little more warmth for that. Take it out of the swamp cooler and let it have another week or even 2 at room temperature and then dry hop at that same temperature.

Thanks, Thats what i was thinking but sometimes my mother used to say bad stuff happens when i start thinking too hard

Back