just brewed a hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
Just got my ingredients today and I went ahead and brewed this afternoon. It was the Simple Hefeweizen recipe from a member here. The recipe said that it recommended a full boil, at this time I can only partial boil. I mixed it very well. I hope that doesnt affect it. I hit the OG dead on (1.045). Cant wait until this is done.

I have no idea what you are saying. I did not change anything in the recipe. From my understanding, you should do a full boil every time. I have yet to do a full boil and my three previous brews turned out good.

Partial boil = less hops bitterness. Full boil = more hops bitterness due to more "hops utilization". Essentially, this means that when you do not do a full boil in a recipe that calls for a full boil, you have to increase the amount of hops sightly to keep the same bitterness level. The reverse is also true... if a recipe calls for a partial boil with top-off (like most extract kits do) then you would need to reduce the amount of hops used if you did a full boil.

Essentially, when you boil a larger quantity of water, it uses the hops more efficiently... Therefore, larger boils will create more bitterness and smaller boils will result in less bitterness when using the same amount of hops.

First of all, a Hefe is not a hop forward beer at all, so I am assuming you used an ounce of something like Tetnang at 60 min?

A lot of water with a lower concentration of sugars will potentially allow more bitterness from hops (full boil)

A lower amount of water with a high concentration of sugar allows less biterness from hops (partial boil)

This a simple generalization, but in changing recipes from full to partial boil you might have to adjust hop amounts (add more) in a partial boil if following a full boil recipe.

Since you are making a Hefeweizen, it is a non-issue because hops play such a small role in the style.

Pez.

Hmmm, i started a thread that seems similar in content and got a different answer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/full-boils-extract-kits-327538/

I am not sure why you did not get information about hops utilization when you asked your question. If you have been doing 2.5 gallon boils and do a 5 gallon boil with the same recipe, the full boil beer will be more bitter and hoppier. It is not a drastic difference, and would probably not "ruin" a recipe or hurt anything, but there is a difference. Programs like beersmith or websites like www.brewersfriend.com have tools to help calculate the effect boil size has on bitterness, and can be used to adjust the amount/type of hops to achieve the desired end result.

I did use 1 oz of Tettnang at 60 mins with 2lbs of bavarian dme and then 3lbs bavarian dme with 10 mins left.

I'm not exactly sure if it is a must to do a full boil. It was recommended.

No, not a must do. You just get less hop utilization and have a greater chance of carmalization with partial boils. Neither one of these is a deal breaker in a hefe.
Pez

I am not sure why you did not get information about hops utilization when you asked your question. If you have been doing 2.5 gallon boils and do a 5 gallon boil with the same recipe, the full boil beer will be more bitter and hoppier. It is not a drastic difference, and would probably not "ruin" a recipe or hurt anything, but there is a difference. Programs like beersmith or websites like www.brewersfriend.com have tools to help calculate the effect boil size has on bitterness, and can be used to adjust the amount/type of hops to achieve the desired end result.

Good to know. I did a Hefe with 3/4oz at the beginning and 1/4oz with 5 minutes left in the boil, per the recipe. I know Hefes aren't very hop forward, so a little extra bite probably won't kill me.

I did use 1 oz of Tettnang at 60 mins with 2lbs of bavarian dme and then 3lbs bavarian dme with 10 mins left.

I'm not exactly sure if it is a must to do a full boil. It was recommended.

Your late extract addition gives you a lower average gravity during the 60 minute boil, making it more like a full boil. If you did a 3 gallon boil with the late extract addition, Brewtarget shows you would get 19 IBU, compared to 18 IBU for a full boil with no late extract addition. (I haven’t found a way to enter the exact late boil time – it seems to use some typical amount of time.) Both of these are higher than Brewtarget calls for with a weizen – their range is 8 – 15 IBU. If you used less than a 3 gallon boil, you would get a little lower IBU’s. I made a hefe not long ago with 19 IBU’s, and I was very happy with it.

Back