Just bought my first hops on Saturday. Should I trim them to a few bines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. First year plants need all the leaves and roots it can grow. They will put as much energy as they can into building a healthy plant. After the first year then you can start thinking about cone production tricks.

no, let them go. Don't expect much yield, as the plant is going to focus on root growth. Next year you will want to trim them down to 5-6 bines. I have a few cascade I started last year that put out lik 15 bines. I cut them back to 6 ea. I also have a few chinook that are about 8 years old. I trim them back to around 15-20 bines. If I just let it go, they will overtake the side of my house.

attached is a pic from last year when I didn't have much time on my hands, so I just let the chinook plant grow. This was harvest day, and it started with the bines crawling up one cable going from the ground to my satalite dish. I ended up with 4 lbs off this one. Im pretty sure I will get twice as much this year with a trellis.

If you look at the ground to the left of the ladder, all that green against the house is bines spredding along the ground down the length of my house

WP_20140822_001.jpg

Back