Just bought my first conical (Plastic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
So after haggling over craigslist, I agreed to buy my first 15 gallon plastic conical fermenter, with a stand. I am pretty excited and think my first batch into this guy will be a 10 gallon brew of Edwort's pale ale when my cascade are ready to harvest.

(little guy on left)
3m73ob3pa5Z65W35X5b7j9785cf8295e21ed5.jpg

Not bad for $40 is it?

I expect to have to modify some of the fittings since he only used it once for hauling water on his farm (if the fittings aren't wort friendly) before moving up to the 55 gallon pictured on the right.

I had one for awhile and it worked great - best of luck.

btw - a local surplus store has a similar one with stand, used for $200 which is more than the cost of a new one.

I checked out the manufacturing specs on it before agreeing to buy it. It was originally designed for holding used cooking oil for making biodeisel. Polyethylene with UV inhibitors

I have 1 like that as well as a 15 gallon Minibrew. I would add a wooden stand with wheels to raise it to keg filling height, and use a 2 or 3 piece 1/2" valve without a racking tube. Just tilt the whole thing to drain completely. You'll need a 2 or 3 piece 1" valve at the bottom for trub/yeast removal. Since it's difficult to seal the top (and unnecessary to me), I removed the whole lid assembly and just set the lid on top with a weight to hold it in place. Wrap a towel around the whole thing to keep out light, and you've got a great conical!

Dave

I have 1 like that as well as a 15 gallon Minibrew. I would add a wooden stand with wheels to raise it to keg filling height, and use a 2 or 3 piece 1/2" valve without a racking tube. Just tilt the whole thing to drain completely. You'll need a 2 or 3 piece 1" valve at the bottom for trub/yeast removal. Since it's difficult to seal the top (and unnecessary to me), I removed the whole lid assembly and just set the lid on top with a weight to hold it in place. Wrap a towel around the whole thing to keep out light, and you've got a great conical!

Dave

Wow thank you so much for the advice! I really appriciate it and please don't hesitate to share some more if you think of it!

The only thing I am really worried about is if the current valves designed to hold water or veggie oil are not brass or stainless steel!

No problem! The valves are important. Either pickled brass or stainless will work, but I'd try to get 2 or 3 piece so that you can tear them apart for cleaning.I think I paid about $50 or $60 for both of my 3 piece ones (total). Just search around...and don't use carbon steel or galvanized.

No problem! The valves are important. Either pickled brass or stainless will work, but I'd try to get 2 or 3 piece so that you can tear them apart for cleaning.I think I paid about $50 or $60 for both of my 3 piece ones (total). Just search around...and don't use carbon steel or galvanized.

Yeah, I am in the process of building a larger mash tun, so I have been keeping an eye on bargain fittings. They have some very nice stainless fittings for cheaper than anywhere I have seen!

Latest posts

Back