just bought a hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HypnoFrogs

Reaction score
Okay I am having no problems reading and such i just had a quick question. I bought a kit which included a bag of pre boiled all grain wort and yeast bottling sugar and such, you add 4 liters of water and the yeast and everything else included other than the sugar.

On to my question. The box says that it should be at 1.050 gravity before fermentation. now I did not have a hydrometer so is it safe to assume it was at 1.050-1.045GR? after about a week now its at 1.022GR. my estimates lead me to believe I am at around 3.7% alcohol content.

If my gravity does not drop at all should I try stiring up the sediment a bit to try to knock points off?

Too many unknown factors ..... actual OG ... This an Ale or Lager ? What Temp are you fermenting at ? I would leave it alone for 4-5 days and then check again see if the yeasties are doing their job....

I would definitely let it sit for a few more days. The temperature is important because it can add, or less likely subtract, points from your reading.

Yeah I will let it sit for the next 5 days then re check, but its safe to assume it started at 1.050GR because the kit says it should be at 1.050 and I followed the directions completely? I'm just worried maybe the GR was at like 1.020 already when I started? unlikely?

I would say that is unlikely. If you used all of the stuff that came in the kit, it should start where it says. What are your fermenting temps?

If you added the correct amount of water, you'll be at the listed OG.

Are you "sure" you are getting a correct gravity reading? Have you calibrated the hydrometer? Are you adjusting for temps?

I'd leave it alone for a week and read up on those things before taking the next reading.

If you really are stalled out after another week, then yes, swirling the fermenter to get the yeast in suspension is reasonable. Raising the temp can also help (depending on the current temp).

I will have to go put a thermometer in that room which I haven't done yet, Id say its 65-70. I placed the hydrometer in water and it hit 1.000 so I assume its calibrated. and the reading if your a few degrees off is minimal, I believe it said its around +0.0016GR at 70 degrees which is not enough for me to worry

I would let it sit for up to a week and take a couple more gravity readings 2-3 days apart.

Latest posts

Back