Just bought a bench capper and bottles get stuck after capping..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if I am the only one who has this problem.

I cap...and the bottle gets lifted up and is stuck to the metalic part of the capper. I need to use force to get it out of there, but I am afraid of breaking the capper. Any ideas what to use to make the metallic part slippery enough to avoid this?

I have tried basic lubricants (motor chain, door spray...no luck).

I had the same problem with the one I bought. I went back to the wing capper until I got my kegging system.

The instructions I got with my super agata bench capper say to lube the inside of the bell. Maybe some vasaline? Mine sticks on some bottles too. Like the ones with the slightly shorter neck.

Some bottles just stick for me. Try a variety of bottles and see if some work fine and some stick.

I use olive oil, and it seems to work fine. One thing I did was take out the center magnet on mine, but I think that was because I thought it wasn't clamping the caps around the neck well enough. Also, I think there is a little bit of breaking in period with them. Mine seemed to get stuck for a few batches, and now I don't need to put olive oil on it much anymore. When it does stick, there are two things to do.

1. Crimp it down again. It may have not gotten a good seal. This seems to be especially bad with short necks. It's just the spacing of the slots on mine. I guess if you were doing a whole batch of shortnecks, you could use a silicone mat (between the bottle and the bottom of the capper, not the capper and the counter) or something to raise the bottle a little bit.

2. If it is stuck after crimping it down again, then pull down while twisting. That helps a lot.

Anyway, after these couple hacks, mine works great.

The instructions I got with my super agata bench capper say to lube the inside of the bell. Maybe some vasaline? Mine sticks on some bottles too. Like the ones with the slightly shorter neck.

Good idea.....gotta get a small amount of vaseline from someone. So far....the motor oils dont work at all. It has to be something butter like texture. Thanks.

I use olive oil, and it seems to work fine. One thing I did was take out the center magnet on mine, but I think that was because I thought it wasn't clamping the caps around the neck well enough. Also, I think there is a little bit of breaking in period with them. Mine seemed to get stuck for a few batches, and now I don't need to put olive oil on it much anymore. When it does stick, there are two things to do.

1. Crimp it down again. It may have not gotten a good seal. This seems to be especially bad with short necks. It's just the spacing of the slots on mine. I guess if you were doing a whole batch of shortnecks, you could use a silicone mat (between the bottle and the bottom of the capper, not the capper and the counter) or something to raise the bottle a little bit.

2. If it is stuck after crimping it down again, then pull down while twisting. That helps a lot.

Anyway, after these couple hacks, mine works great.

hey reverend.

I have just tried that too....it wont work...the metal parts sucks it in...when I force the bottle out...it is actually propelled out. funny as hell....but I cant laugh at it. :)
Thanks for the advice.

hey reverend.

I have just tried that too....it wont work...the metal parts sucks it in...when I force the bottle out...it is actually propelled out. funny as hell....but I cant laugh at it. :)
Thanks for the advice.

I'm confused. What's going on? The bell sucks in the cap? Which model bench capper do you have? I have a super agata.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. What's going on? The bell sucks in the cap? Which model bench capper do you have? I have a super agata.

Sorry....my description wasnt clear enough.
The bell suck the cap in....holding the bottle. It is not that it sucks it in...but it gets stuck there. I have a similar one to yours.

So you did try taking the magnet out? I think it makes the round edge form better on the cap, allowing it to come out easier. Also, are these mostly long necks or short necks or both? I almost gave up on my bench capper after getting it for the same reason. It took a while to work out the kinks, but once I did, I can't imagine going back to a wing capper.

I agree. The super agata bench capper has taken a little getting used to. But I def won't be going back to a wing capper. I've just started getting to where I'm pretty quick with the super agata. Now where's that vasoline?...;)

So you did try taking the magnet out? I think it makes the round edge form better on the cap, allowing it to come out easier. Also, are these mostly long necks or short necks or both? I almost gave up on my bench capper after getting it for the same reason. It took a while to work out the kinks, but once I did, I can't imagine going back to a wing capper.

hey Reverend

I cant get the magnet out.

I am using one of these and the magnet cannot be screwed out.

776_1.jpg

I also have a super agata like unionrdr. I get an occasional slightly stuck bottle, but not stuck enough to be a problem. I never lube the bell. I can literally cap any size or brand of bottle with that thing. I love it!

I found after 50 or so bottles, they became super easy to get out, I think it takes some wearing in. Never broke a bottle, they weren't that tight.

Mine always get stuck fairly firmly, I gently pull the bottle down and sideways a little and it drops out, just don't wrap your finger under the base of the bottle when you do it ;)

I've been using my Super Agata for years with no problem. i did buy an antique bench capper from a flea market not too long ago that the bottles get stuck though.

Mine always get stuck fairly firmly, I gently pull the bottle down and sideways a little and it drops out, just don't wrap your finger under the base of the bottle when you do it ;)

Where were you a few days ago? :)

When i cap twist offs, they get stuck. all it takes is to pull the bottle sideways towards me and it pops out, no problem. I have no trouble with my regular bottles if i remember right.

A lil music to swing your mallet by from Captain Beefheart;

Reminds me of a job I did in the back of the Ford foundry swingin a 3lb hammer 12.5-16 hours a night,7 nights a week...

Talk about antiques...how old is it? def a piece of history...:mug:

Bought it in the 1970's, shortly before brewing became legal.:) First beer kit back then was similar to Cream of Three Crops except that it had malt extract, flaked corn and rice. Hops were generic something. Instructions said to put a teaspoon of a sugar solution in each bottle and then fill from the fermenter. Didn't have any bottle bombs or broken bottles from the capper, probably because I used heavier, returnable bottles.

Bought an all metal bench capper after the first batch.

I have the Super Agata as well and have found it sticks from time to time. I think it only happens when I torque it down too hard. It takes some finesse to get the right amount of elbow into it.

After capping over 600 bottles thus far (I know, I'm an amateur) it sticks very little now.

I have a Colonna capper corker combo and my bottles stuck to the bell as well. I use candlewax. The wife always has candles laying around for birthdays. I take those and give the inside of the bell a few swirls with the candle at the beginning of a bottling session and no probs. I would think candlewax is not as messy as petroleum jelly or oil.

I have exactly the same bottler and problem, literally have to force remove the bell and use brute force to get the bottle out. Not very practical with 80+ bottles to fill.

Do you sort this out in the end?

You can lube the bell of the capper with keg lube or something similar. Seems to me the instructions that came with my super agata said to do so in order for the caps not to stick.

I have the same capper, and I can say that it always sticks on heineken bottles. Not sure why. Everything else is just fine though.

I have exactly the same bottler and problem, literally have to force remove the bell and use brute force to get the bottle out. Not very practical with 80+ bottles to fill.

I also have the super agata, never lubbed it, and do not have any problems with it getting stuck. The first thing I would suggest is to not press down so hard, crimping doesn't require a ton of force. If you're capping with enough pressure to indent your caps in the center, due to the magnet pressing it in, then you're using too much force. Also make sure the height is set correctly so that that handle goes a full range of motion is only crimping the cap near the end of the arm motion.

Again, I've never needed to lube the bell inside and the caps are always wetted from the sanitizer anyhow. The only rare instance of very slight sticking was when I applied too much pressure, and even then it came right out with a slight tug.

I have certain bottles that sick. Everything else is fine.

Hmm, interesting. Someone else said certain specific bottles stick as well. Perhaps it's the bottle lip? I've only ever used de-labeled 16.9oz Franziskaner bottles with no sticking issues.

Rev.

Hmm, interesting. Someone else said certain specific bottles stick as well. Perhaps it's the bottle lip? I've only ever used de-labeled 16.9oz Franziskaner bottles with no sticking issues.

Rev.

I've had an occasional stuck bottle too, but the biggest problem I've found with the bench capper is that it's a flimsy scandal of a tool, and flexes so much that the caps are crooked. I haves 2 wedges strategically placed to take up the slop between the head and post, and it only helped slightly. After the first batch with it had several failed seals I started double pressing with a half turn in between.
I also use the Franz bottles, and the main reason I bought the bench capper. The wing capper can't grip their neck properly. I've actually gone back to the wing capper for all other bottles as the double press sucks, plus I do a 50/50 split of Franz & 12's on every batch. I keep the Franz bottles for me, and the 12's for 'take out'. Changing the height with the wedges is a pain.

A pneumatic capper is on my DIY project list. I've got all the parts from years of running a business that uses various pneumatic stuff, but a matter of time and priority. Mmm, more power....

The Paulaner, Franziskaner & German bottles in general are good. So are any bottles sized & shaped like Sam Adams bottles. Like Victory for one. But odd height bottles, like Sapporo & Swithwick's tend to stick. Kona bottles are fine. What I'm starting to think is happening is the odd-height bottles are between notches on the bench capper, making you apply more horse power to fully seal the caps. Then they get stuck. The wing cappers are even worse on these same bottles in my experiences. I don't really have any of the flex problems you speak of with mine. But I also set in on a pot holder on my bottling table, stabilizing it more.

Mine stick also, my capper is over 50 years old.
All I do is give the bottle a slight twist and no fuss or force needed.

Yeah, it doesn't take much to get'em loose...most of the time. Some really get stuck, but not so much so that the cap fails.

Back