just bottled today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
I just bottled 24-22 oz. bottles of a Coopers IPA. I added 4 oz. of hops (dry). The guy at our beer supply store was out of the carbonation drops so i opted for some dry malt. He told me that for a five gallon batch, 5 ounces of malt should be added to some water and boiled into a slurry and then added to my beer before bottling. is this correct?:confused:

5 ounces (weight) of DME should work well for 5 gallons in bottles. Assuming a typical fermentation temperature for ale was used, that should provide around 2.4 volumes of CO2 when the yeast get done chomping on it...

Cheers!

That's actually a little low. You'd typically use 5 ounces of corn sugar for 5 gallons. Since DME is only about 75% fermentable, you need to use about 25% more. You may just have a lower carb level than you'd hoped in the end.

Mmmmmmmm!

image-1980405010.jpg

image-174357664.jpg

I used ten tablespoons and did go a little heavy on the scoops so maybe that will make up for that 25%.

Latest posts

Back