Just bottled my second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdog

Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch of beer. I used an extract kit and made a porter ale. My basement is now about 64 degrees and I would like my bottles to carbonated down there because its nice and dark and I can stash then out of the way. I have read the best temperature for carbonating is 70 degrees. Will it hurt anything if I carbonate at 64 degrees? Or will it just take longer to carbonate? My first batch I did carbonated fine at 68 degrees

It will just take a little longer. If you have the patience it is not a big deal.

Think about it. Most ales ferment in the low to mid sixties. Carbing is just a mini ferment, so it will happen, just a little slower pace.

Not necessarilly. I've had bottled ales stall out at that temp in the brewery at those temps. I now take them up to the master bedroom wherwe the warmth is highwer & more consistent for carbing/conditioning. Cold conditioning /carbing doesn't work ime. It doesn't slow down,it bloody stops all together. Put it in a warmer place to be sure.

Just move them to a warmer room...If space is the problem then just swirl the bottles once every other day to keep the yeast moving. Then leave em be. A month or two will be good.

Thanks for the replys, I ended up moving them upstairs to a warmer room. About 68-70. We keep the house a little cool.

Back