just bottled my first ag today, quick question about aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becksbolero2

Reaction score
so i bottled my first ag today, it was my attempt at a Deshutes hop trip recipe. Unfrotunatly my hydrometer broke the day of brewing so i never got any readings, but I just let it sit extra long to make sure fermentation and clearing had completed. when i was transfering into my bottling bucket it smelled amazing, basically just what I was hoping for, bottled them all and then of course I had to try one. It was very very bitter and not in a hop heads wet dream (possible new brewery name) sort of way.It wasn't terrible of course, but it just didn't match the smell. I understand that it needs to carb and age a bit in the bottle, but I just wanted you guys on here to confirm this for me and let me sleep easy tonight.

another question... i know that 3 weeks @ 70 degrees is optimal for carbing, and I know that bellow 55 or so it stops all together, but what is the upper limits will I have problems at higher temps ?

thank you all so much by the way, you all made my transition into ag very smooth. Tonight I will be raising another glass of uncarbonated beer in your honor

I am not sure of the specifics of your recipe, but I am just starting to drink a beer that iis on the top end of the IPA scale and bottom end of the IIPA scale. It took about 5 weeks in a 70 degree heated freezer to carbonate and mellow out. This was after 2 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in the secondary. I had little luck carbonating bottles until I put a space heater in a freezer and kept the temp between 65 and 70.

Same for me, I'm getting good carbonation at 4-5 weeks at 67-70F. Beer's tasting beer as well. I hate the wait!

You can carbonate at higher temperatures. I wouldn't push it past about 80F though. It will also speed up the aging process as well. Hop bitterness will fall off fairly quickly and that nasty, green beer bitterness flavour will disappear.

GT

Back