just bottled first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck33

Reaction score
this could be a stupid question but i just bottled my first batch of extract amber. i went a head and tasted a little bit just cause, and it tasted very bitter. after the beer conditions and carbonates will it taste any different? thanks

It will, but it will still be bitter. It wont completely mellow out.

Brew something else right now so you arent staring at bottles waiting for them to carb up.

I taste one bottle at weeks 1 and 2, to see how they are progressing though. I like to do this as I am getting good at telling early on how long I should let the beer age before it starts getting really good. It also helps with being impatient

Buck33 said:
this could be a stupid question but i just bottled my first batch of extract amber. i went a head and tasted a little bit just cause, and it tasted very bitter. after the beer conditions and carbonates will it taste any different? thanks

My first beer was an Amber as well and it was very bitter in the beginning. It mellowed somewhat with age. At the time I did a full boil but with a recipe for a partial boil, so I got a lot more bitterness from my hops than the recipe anticipated. Oh well, you live and learn.

the bitterness will mellow out a bit over time

My first beer was an Amber as well and it was very bitter in the beginning. It mellowed somewhat with age. At the time I did a full boil but with a recipe for a partial boil, so I got a lot more bitterness from my hops than the recipe anticipated. Oh well, you live and learn.

I just did this same thing with an IPA and when drinking my hydrometer sample this past weekend, thought it tasted really bitter too. I thought I was doing good going to a full boil, but didn't realize I needed to reduce the early addition hops. The kit instructions said to boil 2.5 gallons, but "if you can boil more, do so."

Gonna bottle this weekend, so won't know for a while if it will mellow at all or not ...

like the guy said it will mellow over time. but also having carbonation changes the beer alot. not just that its bubbly but it changes the flavor some too. it may taste overly bitter now then once its carbonated the bitterness may be a good thing. but if its still a little bitter after it carbonates then let it age a little while and see how it do

Back