Just botteled temp got pretty low last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrei2310

Reaction score
I just bottled my beer yesterday and set it to continue to ferment for 2 weeks or so. Last night got a bitt cooler than previous nights though, and it was not kept in the same temperature controlled room as we had been keeping it. It got down to about 47*-50* in the room I had it in, this morning I moved it out of that room and into a more constant temperature of 74*. Is it likely that my yeast has gone dormant?

I would say that you got no bottle conditioning done last night. So start your timing when the beer gets back to 70 degrees. Then expect at least 2 weeks and probably 3 weeks or longer until they are carbed properly. That would be normal timing.

yeah, no harm done to your beer - you just hit the "Reset" button.

once heated to 70'ish degrees, you could consider giving each bottle a quick flip/inversion to mix the yeast back into suspension. the cold temps likely caused the yeast to go dormant and flocc out. this isn't a required thing to do, and depending how much yeast you sucked up while racking & how quickly you want this beer to carb you could skip this. it would undo any clearing you've achieved so far, then again your beer will have plenty of time to re-clear over the next 2-3 weeks.

Back