Just Another Conan Thread - Musings/Conundrums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhaegar92

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I've been using Conan in my APAs/IPAs for the past few months and generally I've had great reviews of my beers (I'm still dialing on the recipes so I'm not totally satisfied yet). I love Heady Topper and was stoked to get good Conan from some cans I had. More recently I've been debating on trying Wyeast 1318, and I just used some yeast I harvested from Treehouse's Sap IPA (I'm really curious how that'll turn out because it was only the original collected yeast I dumped into the starter - I didn't do any stepping up like I should've). Conan has been a good friend but I'm starting to want to branch out for a few reasons...or potential keep using it depending on how my next batch goes.

Speaking of that next batch, I've had a unique experience with it - 7 days after pitching, the beer tastes and smells VERY odd. Sourish, vile, nasty. I've tried beer mid-fermentation with Conan and I've never had this happen. I've had sulfur odors before that resolved themselves, but this took me very off guard. Obviously I'm going to let it sit as everything else seems normal, and I seriously doubt it's an infection (though this is possible as my 17 month old nephew messed with the airlock and dislodged it... I doubt it though because I'm OCD with sanitation.) This batch also has a sh*t-ton of hop matter in the fermenter due to my own idiotic experimenting, so I attribute most of the acrid flavor to that. I plan on using a filter when I xfer to secondary for the dry-hop to pull most of that out.
-This batch also dropped to 1.010 after a week which was great, so I think the weird flavors will end up resolving themselves as everything else seems to be going great-
-My previous batch was also mashed extremely high for an IPA (158F), so I anticipate that played a role in the usual odors I experienced.-
Ideally everything will flocculate well as it always has for me (seriously, my Conan has always flocculated very well unlike many other's experiences) and all these weird things going on will hopefully just be my impatience and lack of experience.

Has anyone else had sour/acrid/very off flavors from Conan after having normal usage previously? I've definitely provided quite different environments for the yeast more recently, but my current batch is really weirding me out as it's very similar to previous beers I've made with almost identical ingredients/bills, it's just the yeast. The starters have all been extremely consistent with odor and activity, so on the surface everything seems good, but when applied the Conan is being quite erratic after being very consistent.

Honestly, I think it all boils down to my inexperience and inconsistencies with brewing (my equipment keeps being inconsistent so every batch has been peculiar - a saison I recently made dropped to 1.002, so some weird stuff is going on lately). I'd definitely love to hear some input or suggestions - I've searched around and there's some general consensus, but none of my experiences have really agreed with what I've read, so I'd love to hear any relevant comments or feedback.

Cheers :mug:

PS, please excuse any nonsense word choices or typos, I'm very sleep deprived haha

Conan-This-should-be-fun.gif

Back