Junk floating in my secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
There are little pieces of junk floating in my secondary. I am thinking and hoping it is just the irish moss I added during the boil.

Does it do that? I used pellet hops and irish moss and did not strain it. Its free floating in the beer, its not all on top.

Please tell me its either irish moss or hops.
 

Markusface

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
104
Reaction score
2
Location
Plymouth, UK
I have this too, my first extract brew in currently in secondary and there are some pretty strange things floating in the top. I also did not strain when I transferred to primary but all my hops were in muslin bags. I swear some of what's floating around are just hop leaves, which isn't a problem so I have read. I'm just gonna be careful to make sure it doesn't end up in the bottle.

Actually come to think of it, it could be Irish moss, I just bunged a teaspoon of that straight into the boil. A lot of it settled out in the primary when I transferred but I think some may have got into the secondary. I doubt that would be a problem though... although a comment from the pros would be nice cuz now I've started to worry *^_^*
 

Kayos

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
1,364
Reaction score
8
Location
Santa Clarita
Markusface said:
Actually come to think of it, it could be Irish moss, I just bunged a teaspoon of that straight into the boil. A lot of it settled out in the primary when I transferred but I think some may have got into the secondary. I doubt that would be a problem though... although a comment from the pros would be nice cuz now I've started to worry *^_^*
Second that...or third that...mine has floaties, too. No way to really get them out, they are floating IN the beer, not of top..

I was told to wait until they settle...it has been 3 weeks now......

So much for Irish Moss "clarifying"........
 

aekdbbop

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
2,636
Reaction score
9
Location
Nashville, TN
can ya take a picture of it and post it.. im sure people will be able to tell you exactly what it is if you do...
 

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
2,295
Reaction score
26
Location
Seattle, WA
Relax, you're always going to get particles of this or that floating in your fermenters. Come bottling time just rack gently off the trub and you should be fine. You can also loosely attach a piece of cheesecloth or other fine mesh strainer on the end of your racking cane to filter out the particles as you rack into your bottling bucket or keg. Cheers.
 
OP
B

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
Baron von BeeGee said:
How many opinions ya lookin' for? :tank:
Sorry, I guess the response "its ok because its not growing fur" leaves me a little unsettled. I want it out of the final product whatever it is.

It looks like mustard seeds that are constantly floating up or sinking.

Like suggested, I was thinking about attaching some cheese cloth to the siphon before racking to the bottling bucket, or should I use part of a muslim bag or something else?

Will that aerate the beer?
 

cweston

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
2,014
Reaction score
24
Location
Manhattan, KS
First of all, I usually try to keep my junk out of my beer. But that's just how I roll.

:rockin:


BrooZer said:
Like suggested, I was thinking about attaching some cheese cloth to the siphon before racking to the bottling bucket, or should I use part of a muslim bag or something else?

Will that aerate the beer?
No, it won't aerate your beer. If you have a little muslin hops bag, you can clamp it over the end of your racking cane or autosiphon. It will slow down your siphon some, though. A piece of SS braid over the end of a racking cane works nicely, too.
 
OP
B

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
cweston said:
First of all, I usually try to keep my junk out of my beer. But that's just how I roll.

:rockin:




No, it won't aerate your beer. If you have a little muslin hops bag, you can clamp it over the end of your racking cane or autosiphon. It will slow down your siphon some, though. A piece of SS braid over the end of a racking cane works nicely, too.
Ive only made 2 brews and the first time I strained it and this was not a problem. This time no strain and its there.
 

gyoder

Active Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Reading, PA
I wouldn't worry about it. Stick with using a muslin bag at the end of the racking cane before you bottle and it should stay out of the bucket. I had large amounts of trub wandering around my primary just yesterday. They'll settle down.
 
OP
B

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
gyoder said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Stick with using a muslin bag at the end of the racking cane before you bottle and it should stay out of the bucket. I had large amounts of trub wandering around my primary just yesterday. They'll settle down.
I steeped grains in a muslim bag and at the time I was using a turkey fryer thermometer that had a point to it and a clip that held it at an angle into the brew pot. If I punctured a small whole in the bag it may have leaked some grains into the brew pot. Would the grains remain floating? Think that could be it? Would that alter the flavor?

Sorry to sound paranoid I want to try and figure out what happened so as to make sure not to let it happen again.
 
OP
B

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
Brewtopia said:
Relax, you're always going to get particles of this or that floating in your fermenters. Come bottling time just rack gently off the trub and you should be fine. You can also loosely attach a piece of cheesecloth or other fine mesh strainer on the end of your racking cane to filter out the particles as you rack into your bottling bucket or keg. Cheers.
Does it matter if i put it on the end in the secondary or on the end of the hose. I assume if it were on the hose it would have to be loose so as not to collect the gunk and clog.
 

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,908
Reaction score
12,766
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
BrooZer said:
Does it matter if i put it on the end in the secondary or on the end of the hose. I assume if it were on the hose it would have to be loose so as not to collect the gunk and clog.
Put it on the end of the racking cane, then put that end in the secondary. Keep it off the bottom. I usually start my siphon with the racking cane 1/2 way down into the carboy. This should filter out any loose "junk" on the top, and then move it down as the level goes down, keeping it off the bottom. Tilt the carboy gently to get more beer off the trub. When you can't easily siphon the beer, stop. This will keep your beer pretty darn clear.
 
OP
B

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
Yooper Chick said:
Put it on the end of the racking cane, then put that end in the secondary. Keep it off the bottom. I usually start my siphon with the racking cane 1/2 way down into the carboy. This should filter out any loose "junk" on the top, and then move it down as the level goes down, keeping it off the bottom. Tilt the carboy gently to get more beer off the trub. When you can't easily siphon the beer, stop. This will keep your beer pretty darn clear.
Awesome, thanks Yooper. Now im antsy for bottling day. This batch is the same as my last and i tasted it after racking to secondary. It tasted better than my first one did after being in the bottle for 2 weeks.
 

Engelramm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
Location
Lexington, Kentucky
BrooZer said:
It looks like mustard seeds that are constantly floating up or sinking.
I'm going to guess that is yeast. You probably sucked some up when you racked to secondary. Most, if not all of it will settle to the bottom of the fermenter by the time you bottle.

I also always have stuff floating in my fermenter. Even some in the bottle for awhile too. It too will settle with time.
 
OP
B

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
Actually, doe hop pellets contain the seeds from the Hop flower?

They look like a bunch of seeds and I am thinking that that may be what they are.
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
Location
Newtown, CT
Hey Broozer,
R.D.W.H.A.H.B.!!:D

This is how I look at it. The beautiful thing about home brewing is that even if your beer doesn't come out exactly the way you planned it, it's still pretty damn good. You can screw up pretty bad and still have it come out tasty!!! I got my friend into home brewing and on his first batch when it came time to racking, he didn't realize that the little black tip should remain on the racking cane. Well after a half hour or so of trying to figure out why the tube kept getting clogged, out of frustration he grabbed his funnel and dumped his primary carboy into the secondary!!! GLUG....GLUG.....GLUG... Talk about oxidation. In the end he lost all the hop flavor and aroma because of his lil' stunt. But considering it was summer, he now had a great ice cold, dog day, just finished cutting the lawn, manual labor, poundin' beer.
 

vtfan99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
363
Reaction score
7
Location
Williamsburg, Va
No need to worry. There are always things floating around in my carboy....grain husks, hop residue, chunks of krausen, coagulate proteins....you name it, its in there. Like someone earlier said, you may have a problem if they are growing or are fuzzy. The best thing to do is what CMB just said RDWHAHB. You'll be fine.
 
OP
B

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
CMB_2006 said:
Hey Broozer,
R.D.W.H.A.H.B.!!:D

This is how I look at it. The beautiful thing about home brewing is that even if your beer doesn't come out exactly the way you planned it, it's still pretty damn good. You can screw up pretty bad and still have it come out tasty!!! I got my friend into home brewing and on his first batch when it came time to racking, he didn't realize that the little black tip should remain on the racking cane. Well after a half hour or so of trying to figure out why the tube kept getting clogged, out of frustration he grabbed his funnel and dumped his primary carboy into the secondary!!! GLUG....GLUG.....GLUG... Talk about oxidation. In the end he lost all the hop flavor and aroma because of his lil' stunt. But considering it was summer, he now had a great ice cold, dog day, just finished cutting the lawn, manual labor, poundin' beer.
Hey tonight is the first time Ive been able to do that!

I have to stay after ill ive done incorrectly its pretty damn good. So now i understand what that means exactly!!:mug:
 
Top