Juniper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
In many Scandinavian and Eastern European Farmhouse beers they are or were using Juniper. This Juniper is juniperus communis var. communis. In the Pacific Northwest we also have Juniper Communis, but I believe that this is a different variety ( juniperus communis var. depressa) . I think that all Juniper Communis in the United States is var. depresssa, but I am not sure on that. I am also under the impression that the American variety is more of a shrub and the European more unpright - but again, I am not 100% sure on that either.

Anyways, I am wanting to brew with Juniper here pretty soon and am doing some research. Has anyone brewed with American varieties of Juniper - Communis , specifically? Are the differences in the European and American varieties much very different?

I am also curious to use the Western Juniper (Juniperus occidentalis) which grows naturally pretty close to me. Has anyone tried this one?

Any Juniper experts out there that could offer me some advice?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back