Jungle Jim's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexibilly

Mexibilly
Reaction score
Living in eastern Indiana and being married to a chef means relatively frequent trips to Jungle Jim's.
This huge International Market has 4,000 different beers to offer, an entire section dedicated to home brewing and an island with delicious, ever changing and often seasonal offerings on tap at $3.99 a pint, which can be purchased and enjoyed while shopping. How many have experienced this mecca of culinary and beer delights?
http://www.junglejims.com/beerwine/

Last edited:
I have visited the one in Cincinnati a couple times. It's always a glorious adventure! Really a great store and a cool shopping experience.

Living in eastern Indiana and being married to a chef means relatively frequent trips to Jungle Jim's.
This huge International Market has 4,000 different beers to offer, an entire section dedicated to home brewing and an island with delicious, ever changing and often seasonal offerings on tap at $3.99 a pint, which can be purchased and enjoyed while shopping. How many have experienced this mecca of culinary and beer delights?
http://www.junglejims.com/beerwine/

I am lucky enough to live about 10 minutes away and, let's just say, I'm a regular :drunk:.

Friday night pint nights with a different craft brewer offering their beers on tap for $3 and you keep the glassware is a pretty sweet deal. I have a helluva collection of glassware.

I'll be there Friday on my way to Miami to pick up my kids. Will be stocking up with beers too.

I live only about 15 minutes away. Pint Nights are awesome...$3 drafts and you get to keep the glass.

They just upgraded the tasting bar at the local Jungle Jims to 40 taps, awful hard to choose.

It's pretty spectacular for foodies and beer geeks. I try not to go too often as I always end up blowing too much money.

A good friend of mine got married at their Oscar Event Center last fall. The wedding party was staging in the pub room while everything was getting set up, and we spied about 1/3 bottle of 20-yr Pappy Van Winkle in a locked liquor cabinet. Once we were back in there for the reception, we talked the bartender into letting us have the rest of the bottle. Now we like to brag that we drank up Jungle Jim's supply of Pappy. :D

Everytime I see a post about this place, I have to wonder if it's "Jungle Jim" Liberman, the ex-funny car racer, that owns these stores? Don't have one near here that I know of?

I see it's a couple miles North of the I-275 loop around Cincy. I'll have to remember the owners name this time! I always seem to forget that part, my bad.

When I first moved to Cincinnati 15 years ago, I basically lived kitty corner to it. Now I live about 20 minutes from there so I don't get up there that often unless there is a special event (like cheese fest - which is amazing!). Great store though.

Everytime I see a post about this place, I have to wonder if it's "Jungle Jim" Liberman, the ex-funny car racer, that owns these stores? Don't have one near here that I know of?

There are only 2, both in the Cincinnati area. The original is on the north side of I-275 in Fairfield, and they opened a second location in Eastgate a couple of years ago. It's definitely worth a stop at either if you find yourself in the area!

There is also the new one on the east side. Walked in there last fall on the way through to a family gathering to pick up some fruit.....yeah...that worked well. $300 later it looked like we were the local alcoholics. Bunch of new brews to try, wife picked up a bunch of wines.
The place is phenomenal. Whole departments dedicated to hot sauces, breads, international foods....not like the mass produced Old El Paso foods you find at Kroger, but real, imported items.

I was stationed in Dayton at Wright-Patterson AFB and the guys in the office, when they heard that I was a beer geek, told me about Jungle Jim's. I was so excited I talked my wife into going one day after work.

So as we leave I-675 to I-75 and see the sign saying something like 35 miles to Cincinnati, my wife thinks "This better not just be a beer store Mike is taking me to" (she told me this after we started back home).

We get to JJ's and grab the cart and enter the store. The first thing I see is a big room with a bunch of cases of crap beer like Coors and Bud. I mean a huge room. I think, "Those SOBs better not have sent me here for this." Then we walk through a wine room with thousands of bottles of wine. That gave me hope.

Then we walked into the main store and I saw the beer wall. Floor to ceiling, miles long. The first "section" was called "Belgium." And there were beers there that I'd only read about. I was about to drop on my knees and cry, seriously, when my wife saw me staring there, jaw adrop, not able to speak, when she took the cart and said "Go get your own cart."

I did, and I put $250 worth of beer in my cart, while my wife put some fancy cheese and various different kimchis in her cart. She made me put the A/C in the car on max aimed at our feet, and my feet were frozen by the time we got home an hour later.

We went down to JJ's every month or two while we were stationed in OH, and after that first trip, we'd always bring an igloo cooler with ice, so my wife's kimchis and other cold stuff would last the trip back home!

So miss Jungle Jim's.

I've been there a few times when in the area for kids soccer or baseball tournaments. It's only about an hour and 15 minutes from my house but I have never made the trip just to make it. It really is the most amazing food and beverage store I have ever experienced.

When I first moved to Cincinnati 15 years ago, I basically lived kitty corner to it. Now I live about 20 minutes from there so I don't get up there that often unless there is a special event (like cheese fest - which is amazing!). Great store though.
March 21st is a cheese, beer, chutney pairing/tasting. My wife and I and another couple will be attending. Tickets are still available...

BTDT

We frequent about four times a year as the place puts a real hurtin' on the wallet with all their tempting variety. I've made a few triple-digit beer purchases.

Yes we are spoiled thanks to Mr. Bonaminio!

'da Kid

Ok, with all the talk of Jungle Jim's, who is going to be attending the 2015 Beerfest? From their event description:

The Beers

We will have over 350 beers from more than 100 different breweries. You will have the chance to try: imported beers, craft beers, hard ciders, beer blending, beer fresh from a firkin and even taste your way through our new local beer section.

Jungle Jim’s Brew Crew

Join the Jungle Jim’s Brew Crew for your chance to try these amazing beers that set us apart from the rest. Jungle Jim’s Brew Crew can be any combination of the following: Exquisite, Hard to Find, Highly Rated, Rare, Only sold from the Brewery and certainly not found at other tastings.

I'd love to meet some of the HBT folks at the event.

2015 Beerfest

Ok, with all the talk of Jungle Jim's, who is going to be attending the 2015 Beerfest? From their event description:

The Beers

We will have over 350 beers from more than 100 different breweries. You will have the chance to try: imported beers, craft beers, hard ciders, beer blending, beer fresh from a firkin and even taste your way through our new local beer section.

Jungle Jim’s Brew Crew

Join the Jungle Jim’s Brew Crew for your chance to try these amazing beers that set us apart from the rest. Jungle Jim’s Brew Crew can be any combination of the following: Exquisite, Hard to Find, Highly Rated, Rare, Only sold from the Brewery and certainly not found at other tastings.

I'd love to meet some of the HBT folks at the event.

2015 Beerfest
Gotta assume we'll be there. Thanks for the heads up

Wow, that place looks really cool. Surprised we don't have anything like that in Oregon.

Todays +40 Jungle Jim's Eastgate store Tap List:

Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA
The Brew Kettle White Rajah IPA
New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale
Fifty West Drive-By West Coast IPA
Moerlein Handlebar Double Stout
Moerlein Emancipator Dopplebock
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
Fifty West Eleanor Blonde Ale
Warped Wing Ermals ~ Cream Ale
Kona Longboard Island Lager
Fifty West Cali Girl California Common
Rhinegeist Truth IPA
Rhinegeist Powder White IPA
Rhinegeist Alice Belgium Blonde
SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
Rivertown Lil' SIPA
Bison Organic Oakland Hop Harvest Ale
Guinness Draught
Rivertown Roebling Porter Nitro
Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
Fat Head's Hop JuJu Imperial IPA
Uinta Wet N' Wyld Pale Ale
Uinta Hop Nosh IPA
New Belgium Portage Porter
Hudepohl Festival Bock
Triple Digit Chickow!
SweetWater IPA
Unibroue La Fin du Monde
Tröegs Nugget Nectar Imperial Amber Ale
Listermann White Death
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale
Redhook Long Hammer IPA
Rivertown Soulless Scarlet Sour Ale
Mount Carmel Amber Ale
Mount Carmel Maple Dopplebock
Fifty West Gunnison Black IPA
Mount Carmel Imperial IPA

Wish one could leave the Beer Garden and shop while sipping . . . .

'da Kid

http://www.junglejims.com/images/new/pdf/TapList.pdf

Todays +40 Jungle Jim's Eastgate store Tap List:

Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA
The Brew Kettle White Rajah IPA
New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale
Fifty West Drive-By West Coast IPA
Moerlein Handlebar Double Stout
Moerlein Emancipator Dopplebock
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
Fifty West Eleanor Blonde Ale
Warped Wing Ermals ~ Cream Ale
Kona Longboard Island Lager
Fifty West Cali Girl California Common
Rhinegeist Truth IPA
Rhinegeist Powder White IPA
Rhinegeist Alice Belgium Blonde
SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
Rivertown Lil' SIPA
Bison Organic Oakland Hop Harvest Ale
Guinness Draught
Rivertown Roebling Porter Nitro
Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
Fat Head's Hop JuJu Imperial IPA
Uinta Wet N' Wyld Pale Ale
Uinta Hop Nosh IPA
New Belgium Portage Porter
Hudepohl Festival Bock
Triple Digit Chickow!
SweetWater IPA
Unibroue La Fin du Monde
Tröegs Nugget Nectar Imperial Amber Ale
Listermann White Death
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale
Redhook Long Hammer IPA
Rivertown Soulless Scarlet Sour Ale
Mount Carmel Amber Ale
Mount Carmel Maple Dopplebock
Fifty West Gunnison Black IPA
Mount Carmel Imperial IPA

Wish one could leave the Beer Garden and shop while sipping . . . .

'da Kid

http://www.junglejims.com/images/new/pdf/TapList.pdf

Those are all $3 pints on Fridays? If I lived close to one of these places I'd be in trouble :cross:

I have visited the one in Cincinnati a couple times. It's always a glorious adventure! Really a great store and a cool shopping experience.
49.gif
62.gif

Another place that has a great (but smallish) selection is Belmont Party Supply off Smithfield Rd. It is convienently located adjacent to the Brewtensils HBS.

I picked up a bomber of Alesmith Speedway Stout, a 4 pk of Founders Rye IPA, a bomber of Ephemere Cranberry, a bomber of Weihenstephaner, and a 4pk of Fuller's ESB.

They have a lot of OH brews there, and they even get some Three Floyds there from time to time.

Back