Jumping into Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking the plunge. I've looked over all the usual sites for kits & googled this to death. I'm looking for a kit that could eventually be expanded to posibally 6 taps (SWMBO & I have different beer tastes), but for right now, a CO2 tank & a keg is all I'm really looking for. I bought the "kit" to start brewing & have already added to it, but am just looking for a good starter kit that has everything I need. I know I could piece one together, but back to the point, I want it all there from the start. ANybody got links or articles I should browse? Anybody willing to step out & say, yeah, all you need comes in kit X from austinhomebrew?

thanks
z

I'm in the same boat, and no, I can't really say that. I'm piecemealing mine. BUT I'm being very picky about what I end up with - for ex, I won't buy normal "sticky" faucets because I know I'll want to replace them almost instantly. So instead, until I can get my order in for Perlicks or Ventmatics, I keep waiting. I just bought my shanks yesterday, though, from the AHB sale.

Most people will recommend you buy your CO2 tank locally - often better price, plus you can fill it at the time. I got my tank (full) for $60 for 5# and I got a used regulator (gauges fine, but the faces cracked) for $20. Otherwise, I've got about 1/2 my stuff at the LHBS so far, but that will quickly drop - by the time I have 3 taps running, I'll be at about 80% online parts, 20% tops from the LHBS.

I bought my stuff from kegconnection.com. I bought this kit: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=22

I also bought an extra keg along with it, too, at the same time. It was nice for me because everything was all connected and ready to be used. I didn't have to hook up the tubing and the quick disconnects, etc.

EdWort mentioned them to me, and I thought it was a good price. I've been very happy with it, and the kegs were all cleaned and ready to go.

Just a thought - sometimes used regulators will leak, I have one like this and it's really very annoying. I've ordered a rebuild kit for $8 but am still waiting on it. Also, my damn secondary regulator leaks as well. Quite the problem!

I've even tried greasing them up with silicone grease, and it seemed to help when I had the stuff in the bathtub, but over a few hours the pressure in the system will drop off to zero. I disconnect my keg(s) and turn off the tank when I'm not dispensing.

YooperBrew said:
I bought my stuff from kegconnection.com. I bought this kit: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=22

I also bought an extra keg along with it, too, at the same time. It was nice for me because everything was all connected and ready to be used. I didn't have to hook up the tubing and the quick disconnects, etc.

EdWort mentioned them to me, and I thought it was a good price. I've been very happy with it, and the kegs were all cleaned and ready to go.

+1 on that. I bought the same system and love it.

i just bought 6 ventmatics on ebay for $27 each + $4.60 flat shipping. i haven't found a better deal. AHS will match online prices including ebay on ventmatics. go to their ventmatics page and at the top you'll see a link that says something like "best price in america". fill out the form and they'll email you back. might be a better option if you think ebay is sketch or you're ordering from them anyway. i also got my SS shanks on ebay. i think they came out to $16.50 each.

So how much extra cost is associated with getting setup to do nitrogen/beer gas? A nitrogen tank, regulator (or adapter), and a stout faucet?

Thanks for the tips guys. I bookmarked for future refrence.

Any brewers around Oakmugee oklahoma? I'm here for the next 2 weeks.... got love the traveling job.....

zac

Back