Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowher

Reaction score
Its one of my favorite beers. Does anyone have a extract clone recipe for it? Or even a similar one. Perhaps blue moon?

Cheers!

Double check the recipe section of the web site. They have some really good sounding hefeweizen recipes. I will pull out a recipe of mine that has received rave reviews from friends and post it when I get home.

Which Blue Moon? Their regular Belgian Wit or a specialty?

The hefe and the wit are not even close in taste... Did you want a hefe or a wit?

I bought a brewers best Hefe extract kit and it sucked. Well the beer was good but it wasn't any thing like a hefe weizen. Oh well I guess I'll just have to try one from another company.

i havent heard of that beer, but
if you want an authentic german hefe, i suggest you do EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, listed on here.

Generally, an extract hefe is just dry wheat extract, 20 Ibus of bittering noble hops, and an authentic liquid german hefe yeast (WL 300, or WY 3068-- double check those numbers).

Cowher said:
I bought a brewers best Hefe extract kit and it sucked. Well the beer was good but it wasn't any thing like a hefe weizen. Oh well I guess I'll just have to try one from another company.

You don't really need a kit just get bravarian wheat DME, whatever hops and some hefewiezen yeast. Plug it into a recipe program to get a 5% beer, something like 14 ibu and done.

midfielder5 said:
i havent heard of that beer, but
if you want an authentic german hefe, i suggest you do EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, listed on here.

Generally, an extract hefe is just dry wheat extract, 20 Ibus of bittering noble hops, and an authentic liquid german hefe yeast (WL 300, or WY 3068-- double check those numbers).

Ahh just read this. Agreed.

Cowher said:
I wonder what dry yeast they gave you?
Do you recall?
Anyways, I looked at the kit ingredients & besides it being a little low in IBUs (for my tastes)- and dry yeast- it seemed ok.
* dry yeast is fine but not for certain beer styles ( hefes/ belgians).

midfielder5 said:
I wonder what dry yeast they gave you?
Do you recall?
Anyways, I looked at the kit ingredients & besides it being a little low in IBUs (for my tastes)- and dry yeast- it seemed ok.
* dry yeast is fine but not for certain beer styles ( hefes/ belgians).

Safale has a hefe and Belgian strain. The local brewery uses both. I wouldn't personally.

I've tried the Safale hefe... I thought it was ok. not outstanding but ok. (I did ferment at a pretty high ambient temp). Made a peach wheat with it... I think the fruit covered some of it's short comings

I think that when fruit is added to certain beers, it throws off the complete taste target range for the name. Adding peach to a hefeweizen conters the exact tastes that are made by the hefe yeast. The banana and clove are no longer there. Why do it in the first place. Just make a belgian peach. Others posts kept refering to the yeasts that were used. A really good quality liquid yeast is what makes the hefeweizens come to form. You cannot have one without the other. I use White Labs WLP300 and nothing else for my traditional German Hefeweizens. A very active yeast that requires a blow off tube and is done in a week! Great flavors.

I have had a hefe made with the dry yeast and I would say its pretty good. I prefer the white labs myself but you can make a hefe without liquid.

I have had a hefe made with the dry yeast and I would say its pretty good. I prefer the white labs myself but you can make a hefe without liquid.

Very true. I mis-typed earlier. I meant to say that you cannot have a good hefeweizen without a good hefeweizen yeast. Dry or liquid does not matter. :rockin:

VillageBrew said:
Very true. I mis-typed earlier. I meant to say that you cannot have a good hefeweizen without a good hefeweizen yeast. Dry or liquid does not matter. :rockin:

Oh yeah for sure. If they stuck Notti in the kit it's not going to be hefe. Getting those specific phenols is crucial.

Back