Juicy IPA Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

vin8n1

Reaction score
Just finished making a Juicy IPA. Turned out wonderfully. Huge flavors and aromas of peach, apricot, and orange! Attenuated well but still had pleasant sweetness and mildly creamy mouthfeel. Just enough IBUs to be balanced but not noticeably bitter.

Extract
5.5 gal
3 gal boil

1lb English Oat Malt (20 min steep @ 150*F)
6lbs Gold LME (30 min boil)
3.15lbs Gold DME (10 min boil)
5 oz sugar (10 min boil)

Boil
1.5oz Magnum @30 min
Whirlpool (@150-170* for 30 min)
1oz Centennial
1oz Citra
1oz Mosaic
Dry Hop (2 days)
1oz Citra
2oz Mosaic
1oz Amarillo

Fermented w US-05 @ 70*F for 5 days
Bottle conditioned 5 days @ 70*F

IBU: 40
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.014
ABV: 4.8%
IMG_9968.jpg

D.B.Moody

Reaction score
Interesting brewing and short time to the glass. I hope you will consider posting in the "I brewed a favorite recipe today" thread in this forum.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
I'll bet it was great, but the OG of 1.051 just seems a bit low for 9.5 pounds of fermentables.....I would have thought more in the 1.061 range......

OP
V

vin8n1

Reaction score
Teufelhunde,

I agree, I also expected it higher. It was predicted more in that 1.062 range. Maybe my hydrometer was off? I thought I adjusted for the temperature difference?

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
Teufelhunde,

I agree, I also expected it higher. It was predicted more in that 1.062 range. Maybe my hydrometer was off? I thought I adjusted for the temperature difference?
Is it possible the hydrometer reads incorrectly? On mine, the rolled up paper inside the skinny tube is not in the proper place. I checked it in pure (RO filtered) known temperature water and found that I need to add .018 to my reading for the readings to be correct. Temperature correction for just a few degrees really makes diddly of a difference.

YMMV

Lon

marc1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Teufelhunde,

How big was the temperature difference? I don't think the correction factors are as reliable when you get really far off, so if you were measuring at 140 or something, that could be part of it.

Also, how sure are you of the volumes?

OP
V

vin8n1

Reaction score
How big was the temperature difference? I don't think the correction factors are as reliable when you get really far off, so if you were measuring at 140 or something, that could be part of it.

Also, how sure are you of the volumes?
Temp was around 100F
And good point, i will keep a closer eye on the exact volumes i achieve, could be the issue