Journaling methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11980

Reaction score
What method does everyone use for keeping a journal? I have been using a text file on my computer but that is quickly getting hard to navigate. I don't really want to use a spiral notebook either though.

Journaling is totally up to you in how you want to do it...

Personally, I don't keep a "journal" instead I usually log things I am doing here on HBT. I can look through my old posts to learn from past mistakes.

A text file is fine. A blog can be just as good. It's just a matter of personal taste.

I like the idea of using hbt as a journal, but if you're looking for something more personal that just runs on your computer I'd recommend Dokuwiki: http://bitnami.org/stack/dokuwiki .

It's a simple text based and fully searchable wiki which I have found extremely useful. I've organised my brewing into Beer, Wine and Other main categories and then types under each and then different recipes.

Works great for me at least!

(NB I am in no way affiliated with Dokuwiki!)

I just use a small notebook, the first page is a page of notes on how to brew from when I was first learning, and the next few pages are the recipes I've used along with OG, FG, mash and sparge volumes and any notes on what I should do differently in the future.

I use Qbrew to formulate my recipes; then add batch notes as the batch progresses. After the batch is gone, I save as a Word doc & upload to Google Documents & my cellphone. That way I can reference past batches at anytime/anyplace.

Beersmith.

Use it for recipe formulation, keeping track of all vital info, and use the notes section to track any issues, ideas, concerns etc. during brewday or any point going forward.

Beersmith is used for my recipes. On brew day, I make notes on my kegerator in dry erase marker. I can fit about 2-3 batches worth of notes there before erasing. When it's time to erase (usually at the end of primary), I transcribe the notes to a spiral notebook and update Beersmith accordingly. I've been meaning to get a proper dry erase board because the fridge surface is starting to tear up my markers.

I started with a classic Moleskin notebook and have stuck with it. During downtime I browse old recipes, calculate how much grain and hops I used in the last year etc.
It's handy as hell on brew day since my computer is a desktop nowhere near my brewery.
I'll formulate a recipe in Beer Tools Pro and then it write down in my notebook as well. The printout is my reference for hops schedule and procedures, and my notebook is where I keep notes about that specific brew and any variances in procedure.
I also use it to sketch out plans for brewery upgrades and label ideas, tally my bottles and kegs, keep track of my hop garden, and many other things.

notes02.jpg

notes01.jpg

i have a leather journal book for notes as i brew, i then use my site as a blog, i also use the brewing software for even more notes.

I have a notebook that I use after the fact, I print out the recipe I am brewing and put it on my clipboard, make my notes on that during the brew, thoughts on improvements, ect. then later I transcribe to the notebook with more coherent notes and room for tasting notes, I let my drinking buddies add tasting notes (pre-drunk) too so there is a more objective record of the batch.

I bought a hardcover spiral bound from staples from the black 'n red line(http://www.blacknred.com/pagetemplate.php?pid=9). Because I have atrocious handwriting, I transcribe everything into a set format in a powerpoint slide and then print it out on a full-sheet label and stick them in the book. This way I don't make random pencil markings in the book, rather I can think and type and get it all out in a useful manner. Its nice, because I can just copy the format from one brew to another and all the info is in the same place for each brew.

I'd like to have a bound book, but this method requires that each page thickness gets doubled... so a wirebound book is the only one that really works. When I do it again, I will get the biggest one I can. 8x5inches is too small.

I loaded an example to my gallery here:

I very rarely say this, but the search function will show you a number of on point threads with good information.

Of course I could probably find everything and anything I ever wanted to by searching since it's all probably already been said at least once, but then what would we have to talk about? Not to say I don't ever use the search, I normally do, but sometimes I want to hear responses from this year. :)

Thanks for the responses, I really want to stay away from the notebooks though since my handwriting is so bad I can't even read it sometimes. So here's what I've been doing since I made the first post. I made a basic database in open office and a front end form. So far it's really simple but it does take OG/FG and automatically calculate ABV. If anyone uses openoffice and wants a copy I can share and of course will take suggestions but I warn you, tonight was my first crack at anything like this so it's rough. Just let me know if you're interested.

I print out a Classic brewsheet from BeerSmith to use on brew day. I'll scribble notes on it as I go, then stick it in a binder. At some point, I'll transcribe the notes back into BeerSmith.

Bio Being, can you attach or link what the classic brewsheet looks like for an average brew? That would inrtigue me greatly if some software could make that easier.

I currently use the notes field in Beersmith. I am slowly transitioning to a system closer to, but not as robust as, BK's.

Bio Being, can you attach or link what the classic brewsheet looks like for an average brew? That would inrtigue me greatly if some software could make that easier.

Here ya go, I just used one of the included recipes in the software. I'd suggest downloading the free trial at beersmith.com to give it a go.

pg1m.png

pg2l.png

I was going to implement a excell spread sheet once I figure out what to make catigories off. time, date, brew, chemical reads and such. but I still have yet to brew :( **crying in the corner. lol

I was going to implement a excell spread sheet once I figure out what to make catigories off. time, date, brew, chemical reads and such. but I still have yet to brew :( **crying in the corner. lol

Give yourself 50 lashes and send me a sixer from your first brew, and you'll be forgiven. :mug:

A logo man eh? Hook a brutha up! I'm an IT Guy but can't make a logo to save my life!

I use a small leatherbound journal. I do 1 page on each recipe.
start date
recipe name/vital details
notes on brew day
OG, FG
tasting notes, ideat for change

I continue this even though I now store everything for a brewday in Beersmith.

Here ya go, I just used one of the included recipes in the software. I'd suggest downloading the free trial at beersmith.com to give it a go.

<image snipped>
Yeah - like that! I find it has about everything I need, and space for any extra scribbles.

The one thing I don't like about BrewSmith is that when I copy it to the Brew Log, it saves the "Brewed On" date as the date I entered it to the software instead of the date I copied it to the brew log. Have to remember to change it manually.

I type my recipe into a word file, add notes and tasting notes and save each under its own name in a folder named "Beer". As my collection grows its easy to back up the folder across multiple drives for redundancy.

dear journal,

today i read on intanetz about ways to save my brew logs. Currently, i formulate in bs, write recipe on a sheet in a binder. Need to make an excel log template but am too lazy until i can get all grain breweing to standardize my log sheet. Phew, busy day, i hope you're not too tired from all this info journal.

Sincerely,

bk

I didn't the first time around in brewing but now that I'm back in it I'm thinking about keeping a written log. Just a standard spiral note book...

GMail. I email the notes to myself, compose them in draft for save/editing. They're always with me, where I go.

I am also a fan of Google. You should try Google Docs. It offers a lot more functionality than GMail, but still keeps everything and available anywhere.

Back