Joining the forum and thanks!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSparty08

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just thought I'd introduce myself since I think I might be visiting this forum quite often. I just brewed my first brew (a wheat beer) and it's sitting in the fermenter right now. Found this forum beforehand and it's actually been a great place to find info. For instance, I was worried about not seeing any activity after I pitched the yeast, but saw this forum and you guys saying that it takes 12-24 hours before it starts and it calmed me down. The next morning it was bubbling away. :D

I'm definitely hooked now and look forward to brewing lots more in the future.

RichBrewer said:
Welcome to HBT! :mug:
I've found that this forum makes brewing beer even more fun. Let us know how your first batch turns out.

I will definitely let you guys know how it turned out. I'll probably need some advice on which brew to try next in a few weeks cause I'm gonna have to make another batch if I don't want to run out of homebrew.

Anyone know of a good place to find cheap bottles? I'm gonna need another case I think if I want to achieve my goal of never running out of homebrew. I can get them currently at a homebrew store for $8.50. Does anyone know of any place where I can get them cheaper than that?

Well if you enjoy drinking beer, and something tells me that you do, you could run down to the local store and get yourself some of your favorite bottled import. Or any beer that doesn't use twist off bottles. Sam Adams is a good one. Also encourage your friends and co-workers to hand over their "pop-off" bottles. Just give them a quick rinse and store them until you're ready. Also, if you use clear bottles like Corona, make sure you store them in a dark place after bottling so the sun doesn't skunk the beer.

Now you have an excuse to drink beer for the next three weeks :mug:

Are twist offs really that bad? I looked at the caps for the bud light bottles I have and the caps aren't threaded, only the bottle is so I figure I can just put a normal cap on that bottle. Is this wrong? How will it hurt me if I use the twist off bottles?

JMSparty08 said:
Are twist offs really that bad? I looked at the caps for the bud light bottles I have and the caps aren't threaded, only the bottle is so I figure I can just put a normal cap on that bottle. Is this wrong? How will it hurt me if I use the twist off bottles?
The biggest problem with twist-offs is those bottles tend to have much thinner glass in the neck. So capping can result in broken bottles. The pop-top bottles are all designed much stronger so you are much less likely to have breakage (though it still happens). You can also have issues with getting a seal on the twist-offs.

Back