Joined after constant Google hits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkrabbit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. From Toronto (area) and just started home brewing. First beer is 2.5 weeks in the fermenter! I went head first into all grain and LOVE it. All of it. Working on a yeast starter right now that's growing in my 'lab' in the basement, milling grains, checking out recipes, customizing, planning brew days.. perfect blend of science and art.

Home brewing is what has been missing from life :)

Anyway, I would be searching for answers to my many, many questions and would always end up here. Decided to join up, I am certain that this forum will be responsible for much expenditure over time. Electric brewing is on my radar someday, for sure. And I have a basement that desperately needs a brewery.

Hopefully as I learn more and more I'll be able to contribute. Right now however I am more of an information sponge :)

That's how I found this site- I had a question and googled it and all of the answers were on this site. I found that many more questions were also answered here, so I stuck around.

Let us know if you have any questions and we'll be glad to help out!

Welcome from Florida! Funny I found this site the same way and always found solid answers, so then I joined. Good luck and if you end up going electric you are gonna love it. I love mine!

John

Welcome to the best resource for the new home brewer. I too started with all grain and have no regrets. I have made awesome beer from batch one, thanks to what I learned from here. everything I had questions about I found the answers here. Enjoy your new obsession

Thanks all! Yeah I am checking out the beginner section but I am all over the place, from yeast starters and washing to electric setups to... whatever! It's incredibly fascinating to see the setups some people have. There's some serious talent in this forum. I poked into the 'water' forum and left quickly after reading some of the minute details people started to get into heh heh. That's an entirely different rabbit hole that I can worry about once I have everything else down.

Darkrabbit, I am with you on the water chemistry, it makes my brain hurt. To keep it simple I started using all distilled water and adjust it using the E Z water Calculator. That , for me ,is the easiest of the water programs to understand and work with. Using a balanced water profile my beers have been excellent. As for yeast washing, I prefer to make a starter with a new package and divide it in half. Keep half in a half pint Mason jar in the refrigerator for future use and use the other one to make a starter to pitch. That way you have new fresh yeast and no trub or hops to try and wash out.

Two areas of debate on this forum that are honestly worse then politics and religion are Low DO brewing and water chemistry, if you plan on reading those threads grab some popcorn [emoji897] and enjoy the ride

The water chemistry looks interesting but it's a whole thing I can't see dealing with in the near future. The yeast washing is something I think I can get behind, the problem is if I can use it before it's all dead. Not sure how long it will last in the fridge..

Back