Johnson Temp. Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dest149

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in an apt. and its usually around 70-72 degrees farenheit in here. I was thinking that that is probably too warm, and it is probably a little bit warmer than that in some areas. My gf was not a fan of swamp coolers, and I liked the igloo cooler idea since it didn't appear to require many ice pack changes, but buying the cooler seems to be expensive. I was thinking maybe try and buy a mini-fridge off of craigs list for 30-40 dollars and use that as a fermentation chamber. What are your guys thoughts? My apt is not that big, its not small but I also have a roommate, so its 3 of us in here. Would I NEED to buy a temp control unit for the fridge since I imagine it would be too cold if not?

70-72 is a great temp for ferment at, unless u are doing lagers.

I personally own a temp controller and they work great. i highly recommend them.

So you think I should wait to upgrade? I just figured since the wort is so exothermic in the first 72 hrs that it might be necessary. If it's not needed I will avoid it.

So you think I should wait to upgrade? I just figured since the wort is so exothermic in the first 72 hrs that it might be necessary. If it's not needed I will avoid it.

Depends on what the maker of the yeast recommends for optimum temp range.

If ambient is 72' , then wort temp during fermentation will be a lot higher. Not advised for most yeast.

another alternative is just taking a bucket I use to wash my car and sticking it in there with some water and a t-shirt and just keep a fan on it...?

dest149 said:
another alternative is just taking a bucket I use to wash my car and sticking it in there with some water and a t-shirt and just keep a fan on it...?

I thought your GF was not a fan of swamp coolers? I'd get a ferm chamber and Johnson A419 and mount the thermocouple to the fermentor with tape or plumbers putty. That way your not racing to change frozen water bottles or getting your fermentor to hot. Just my .02

I thought your GF was not a fan of swamp coolers? I'd get a ferm chamber and Johnson A419 and mount the thermocouple to the fermentor with tape or plumbers putty. That way your not racing to change frozen water bottles or getting your fermentor to hot. Just my .02

She isn't, but I am not a fan of putting in effort to make a good beer for it to be ruined by something like temperature. So if it came down to only being able to resort to a swamp cooler than so be it. I am not too sure what you meant by using the tape or the the putty though.

dest149 said:
She isn't, but I am not a fan of putting in effort to make a good beer for it to be ruined by something like temperature. So if it came down to only being able to resort to a swamp cooler than so be it. I am not too sure what you meant by using the tape or the the putty though.

The controller comes with a thermocouple or temperature probe, stick it to the fermentor (not in the air/ambient or in a water jar) to get accurate ferm temps.plumbers putty works great cause it sticks and insulates from ambient air.

dest149 said:
whats good price to get a controller for?

You can look at the eBay temp contriller threads( search for it) but I got mine from a local Johnston dealer for about $65 I think. If you go the eBay route you need a direction from the threads and make sure you get the 120V not the 240V like a guy I know made the mistake.

Back