Johnson Analog Control setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulbill

Reaction score
Hi All,

Proud new owner of a 20 cu ft. freezer from Craigs List.
I picked up a Johnson Analog controller.

I have a couple quick questions:

1. The datasheet I found on the internet
http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/2476642578.pdf
Says to mount it on a vertical surface. Is this really necessary? I have it just sitting on the top of the fridge.

2. Since it has a 4 deg differential, should I go ahead and just put it at the high range of the selected yeast? I.E. 68 deg --> 64 deg = average of 66 deg?

3. Last, my LHBS where I bought it suggested that I turn it a few deg under what I want due to the increase in temp during high activity fermentation, then turn it up when it it dying down. This is to compensate for the "friction" of the fermentation during the initial phase which will raise the temperature? Is this true.

Thanks in advance

paulbill

1) Might be an issue at any rate you do not want to mess up the tube, coat hanger plus included chain and your good to go per the book.

2) I think I would put it a bit cooler, because the controller measures the air temp, and the heat transfer is not perfect, when your freezer is at 68 the wort might be 4 - ?? Degrees higher than ambient air. If it were me I would set it at the low end of the yeast that way since we know the wort will be higher than that, you should be good to go.

Welcome to proper control of the temperature, you may wonder how you ever made good beer without it.
Yes, keep the control unit standing at attention, it's not solid state digital.
The probe inside a water bottle will even out the temp to a narrower temperature level and keep the compressor from engaging so often. But it will still be cooler than the active wort so yes, keep the overall temp a little lower.
Once again, welcome to world of set it and forget it.

Be careful, some probes are NOT waterproof, im not sure on yours, but check the manual. If it's not simply tape it to the fermenter.

Handy time for this question... I just got a new fridge, put the old in the utility room, and purchased a Johnson controller, too. Will be doing my first completely temperature-controlled batch this w/e.

Handy time for this question... I just got a new fridge, put the old in the utility room, and purchased a Johnson controller, too. Will be doing my first completely temperature-controlled batch this w/e.

That's not a question.:confused:

No, mine was not a question... it was a response to the original question, which, under my particular circumstances, was a handy one.
And I wonder why I stopped posting here.

Great.

I have the unit hanging from the door handle using the included chain. The probe is routed inside along the door shelf, then inside to hang down through the inside wire shelf.

I will eventually see about putting it inside a water jug and verifying/calibrating the temp.

Thanks Everybody for your input. I have learned so much from HBT, even though I have not posted any. Just absorbing the knowledge.

I have gone to extract --> extract with steeping --> propane burner --> 15 gallon brew pot --> 10 gallon batches --> bottles --> kegging --> sanyo kegerator --> fermentation chamber and next all grain! :mug:

Paulbill

Great.

I have the unit hanging from the door handle using the included chain. The probe is routed inside along the door shelf, then inside to hang down through the inside wire shelf.

I will eventually see about putting it inside a water jug and verifying/calibrating the temp.

Thanks Everybody for your input. I have learned so much from HBT, even though I have not posted any. Just absorbing the knowledge.

I have gone to extract --> extract with steeping --> propane burner --> 15 gallon brew pot --> 10 gallon batches --> bottles --> kegging --> sanyo kegerator --> fermentation chamber and next all grain! :mug:

Paulbill

Well start posting bro! You didn't pay for a membership to look cool did you? :D I learn something new everyday and it doesn't matter if it is from a veteran or a newb I still learn!

I don't have a fridge for temp control but I was reading that the best way is to tape it to your fermenter with some bubble wrap over it. That way you are measuring much closer to what the fermenter is than the surrounding temp.

Hi All,

I noticed that my probe and capillary tube is not copper, but is actually silver in color. Is this an issue? Do others have this same probe and capillary construction? What is it made of? I would think that the copper would be a better conductor of heat..

Thanks..
Paul

Back