johnson a419 probe question in 7.0 cu keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I quickly realized that dangling the probe in the air (in the keezer) was not giving me good readings and made the keezer kick on a lot. So, I read some postings and realized that taping it to a keg was the best course of action. I currently have the probe touching the keg and a dish towel wrapped over the probe, taped to the keg. I notice that the keg is still kicking on quite a bit (but not like before). Should I use another form of insulator to cover the probe?

Thanks!

Well, in my fermentation chamber (which is the exact same set up as your keezer) I use bubblewrap to insulate the probe, and it seems to work great for fermentation. Maybe give that a try.

I use a gel pack that came with a shipment of liquid yeast (to keep it cold during shipping). I tie the gel pack to the side of the keg with a bungee cord around the keg and slip the probe in between the gel pack and the keg.

I've got a bomber bottle of water in my keezer and just put the probe in the bottle. I was using a cup, but I learned the heard way that cups are much easier to tip over than a bomber bottle almost full of water haha. It seems to do the trick pretty well.

I thought these probes aren't water-proof and can get damaged that way?

Hmm, hadn't seen anything about them not being waterproof. I got the idea from a bunch of folks on here. Does anyone know for sure whether or not this method will damage the probe?

Mine in a gallon jug of water, so it has a bigger mass to make sure it's cold. I haven't had any issues, and even if it does, I'm sure the probe is a cheap part to replace if need be. Mine rarely kicks on and hold stead at 38*

Dunno if its exactly the same thing but my controller came from a saltwater fish setup that my brother in law took in on consignment. It was for the chiller to know when to kick on... So i would assume mine would be MORE accurate in water...

Back