Johnson 419 heating/cooling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthogg

Reaction score
When setting up my controller for the first time I noticed that it has cut-in and cut-out modes apparently used differently for heating and cooling options. It also looks like a jumper wire is required to switch between modes. My question is, if I am going to use a heater in my ferm chamber as the weather cools down, do I need to switch the mode or will the heater kick on just like the fridge when the temp reaches its sensor point? It's making me realize that I ultimately need to do the STC 1000 with two inputs, one for the fridge and one for the heater. But I am trying to go with what I have for now and just wanted to check with people who use these. Advice apprecitated. Thanks

Yes, you will need to switch the jumper to heating mode. Right now the jumper is set to cool and will turn power on to the cooling chamber when the temerature goes above your set point. When you switch the jumper, it will heat when it goes below the set point. If you did not change the jumper, it would never kick the heater on.

I use one controller for my chest freezer to keep it at 31F and I also have two more controllers with fermwraps that I can put around the carboys to keep them warm while fermenting in the chest freezer (along with a couple of tshirts and a jacket wrapped around them for insulation)

Back