Johnny Hop Rhizome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruy Lopez

Reaction score
Can anyone offer some advice about growing hops? I'm going to plant some in the spring, but given the variety and my relative inexperience, I'm a bit unsure about what to plant. Is there a most versatile species? Is there a species best suited to southeastern climate? (NC)

I don't know about varieites, but here in coastal California, there's nothing to growing them. They won't die. plant em next to a building or a railing or something they can climb. They come back stronger every year.

I never used homegrown hops in beers because you don't know the alpha acid or anything, but they're pretty and easy to grow.

I planted some cascade and willamette on the side of my house last year. They came right up. Not too strong or fruitful, but I wasn't expecting them to be because I planted them late, and I was told that the first year doesn't usually produce well anyway. If they come in better next year, I'll try to brew with them.
I went to a Fresh Hop fest last year, and now I've got the bug to try it. A bunch of local breweries (I think around 8) had to come up with a beer using only fresh hops, and only a single variety. Sure, nothing was very complex, but there were some really interesting beers. Also, it gave you a chance to taste the difference in hop varieties pretty clearly.

Janx said:
I never used homegrown hops in beers because you don't know the alpha acid or anything, but they're pretty and easy to grow.

I was under the impression that you could count on a range from each variety, no?

Uncle Fat said:
I went to a Fresh Hop fest last year, and now I've got the bug to try it. A bunch of local breweries (I think around 8) had to come up with a beer using only fresh hops, and only a single variety. Sure, nothing was very complex, but there were some really interesting beers. Also, it gave you a chance to taste the difference in hop varieties pretty clearly.

That's what I have in mind for now. Plant a versatile variety, something I can use for bittering and aroma, and use it to craft a signature brew of sorts.

This book looks promising:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-9495232-1250552?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Of course, I'm still renting, so this whole plan rests on my ability to convince my fiancé’s father that his yard would look great hops growing in it.

Ruy Lopez said:
I was under the impression that you could count on a range from each variety, no?

Hmm...I'm not sure but I would think it would vary widely. And I would think it's very dependant on growing conditions, time of harvest, nutrients in soil etc etc...

Back